Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Community Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Duppy bun dung the house?

Mysterious fire razes St Elizabeth 'haunted house'

BY GARFIELD MYERS Editor-at-Large, South/Central Bureau myersg@jamaicaobserver.com
    Thursday, June 06, 2013

SANTA CRUZ, St Elizabeth After weeks of mysterious burnings and reports of people being hit with stones thrown by "invisible" hands, a pur-ported "haunted house" was destroyed by fire at Rose Hall district, in south east St Elizabeth yesterday.
    Reports pieced together from residents and firemen at the Junction Fire Station said the fire started shortly before midday and quickly engulfed the five-apartment building.

1/2

Distraught householders said they lost "everything". The fire department esti-mated the total loss at around $15 million. Family members, who yesterday steadfastly insisted that their names be kept out of news reports, confirmed that the house was not insured.
    The Junction police confirmed late yesterday that they were investigating the incident.
    A 42-year-old daughter of the householders said any material assistance would be welcomed "because the house burn down and we lose everything".
    Fire personnel said that on their arrival the house was already "engulfed". They were able to save an old building, almost adjoining, described by relatives and neighbours as an "old outside kitchen". Firemen described the cause of the fire as "unknown".
    But family members and neighbours were in no doubt that it was merely a continuation of the mysterious happenings occurring sporadically since April 20. They claim several people have been hit with stones and small fires had, on occasion, destroyed furniture, including mattresses and settee chairs. They insist that the cause is "not natural" and is "duppy business".
    The daughter told the Jamaica Observer that in the latest incident, family members found themselves being hit by stones on occasions Monday night to early Tuesday morning.
    It was as if the stones were "coming out of the ceiling", she said. She showed this reporter bruises on her neck and arms as evidence of being hit.
    She claimed they left the house yesterday, with some family members hoping to go to the doctor only to hear that the house was on fire.
    "Pure fire mi see a bun ... the whole of the top of the house pure fire," a neighbour, who claimed to have been early on the scene, said.
    When the Observer team arrived in mid-afternoon, only the blackened walls of the burnt-out house remained with scores of people from surrounding communities visiting to see for themselves. Twisted metal in what was said to be the kitchen was identified by neighbours as the remains of appliances, including fridge and stove. Saddest of all, perhaps, were the remains of school books burnt to cinder.
    The daughter who spoke to the Observer, angrily rejected allegations that family members had been involved in demonism and spiritualism of any form.
    "We not in no de Laurence business, we don't deal inna obeah, we don't know anything bout dem thing deh... I have to work too hard to tek my money give obeah man," she said. "If we did owe de Laurence money, wi nuh woulda pay it back long time from the first stone dem start throw? But wi don't know who to go to because wi don't owe nobody and wi don't do nobody nuttin," she said.
    Her constant puzzled refrain was "we want to know what cause this?" She asked this reporter: "In all your experience, you have any idea what could cause this?" She got no answers.
    She confirmed that her 70-year-old mother had been taken to the doctor. "She suffering from diabetes and high blood pressure, and all this is too much," she said.
    The daughter said that after initially dismissing reports that "duppies" (ghosts) were involved, she changed her opinion weeks ago, when she saw a window on fire with no obvious source. "Mi see it fi myself," she said.

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/...#ixzz2VRZ0WkLr
    When its hot in the jungle of peace I go swimming in the ocean of love.....

duppy business

LOL
    Is this an april fools joke in june?
    If your ship does not come in, Swim out to it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by j-can View Post
    LOL
    Is this an april fools joke in june?
    yuh never si the CVM news story whey the duppy a rain stone on the ppl dem?

Quote Originally Posted by RichD View Post
    yuh never si the CVM news story whey the duppy a rain stone on the ppl dem?
    LOL
    no

Quote Originally Posted by j-can View Post
    LOL
    no
    there was a post here ..mek mi si if i can dig it up.

is some real bad duppy...miggle day dem a fling stone.

Quote Originally Posted by RichD View Post
    there was a post here ..mek mi si if i can dig it up.

is some real bad duppy...miggle day dem a fling stone.
    Nonsense....duppy usually fling Ice I mean stones at night..LOL

My body may be stuck here.... but my heart is in Jamaica.
    I don't think it's duppy. It sound like deLaurence....science. My mother told me when she was a young girl there was a man in the community who was supposed to be "studying deLaurence" and one of the things they said is that stones were falling from no where and there was a pile in the yard. Now she did sneak a peek and she never saw any stones or pile of stones but a soh de people dem did seh. So mi tink is deLaurence.

hile some modern day practitioners of obeah and other Jamaican traditions of healing confine themselves to methods derived from Africa, others, known as "science men" have accepted practices, philosophies and equipment (such as crystal balls) from other spiritual traditions. Many of these embrace what is whisperingly known as De Laurence, a name which I found equally terrifying and mystifying as a child.Lauron Wlliam de Laurence was an American author and publisher of spiritual and occult material. In the late 19th century he established a mail order company which still exists today, supplying spiritutal, magical and occult goods. The most famous books published are The Sixth and Seventh Books of Moses which purportedly were written by Moses himself, but were not included in the Bible. These books are said to explain how Moses won the contest against the Egyptian magicians, parted the Red Sea, and performed other feats. All De Laurence books are illegal in Jamaica.

This brings us to houses being stoned, flooded and otherwise terrorised because of De Laurence. It is said that when someone fails to pay for De Laurence books or material, this will result in all kind of calamities befalling his residence, the most popular of which is stoning by an unseen source, and water being thrown on anyone trying to enter. I've heard of this so many times, and seen the abandoned houses and talked to the wet people, that there's no way I'd make De Larence my choice reading material!
    http://www.real-jamaica-vacations.co...ons-obeah.html
    Last edited by Tropicana; 06-07-2013 at 12:28 AM.

My body may be stuck here.... but my heart is in Jamaica.
    De Laurence, a �higher science� which caused fear in the past and continues to do so

The name �De Laurence� causes some older Jamaicans to cringe with fear. De Laurence is associated with obeah, witchcraft and necromancy (seeing the future by communicating with the dead). Therefore this reaction to De Laurence is perfectly understandable.
    Yet, despite the fears, many can�t seem to know enough about De Laurence, in order to give details.Is it a person? An institution? A religion?Just what is De Laurence?
    The De Laurence phenomenon is shrouded in secrecy. Those who indulged in its practices and those who claimed to be its victims help to maintain the secrecy.
    The many grim De Laurence stories come mainly from rural areas. Some say that their clothes have been shredded to bits even while hanging in the wardrobe. Others speak of stone throwing attacks on their houses, with no view of the stone thrower. And others speak of rain falling only on a particular house in a district.
    Some strange stories speak of rain falling on one particular house.
    Even recently in the Media, there was a report of a house in the Corporate Area on fire, and the witnesses which included neighbours and the fire brigade unit which rushed to the scene, could not offer an explanation as to how the fire started. The house on fire had no stove, no lamp and no electrical connection. And no one was at home at the time. Some speculated a "high science"connection.

The rationale for strange acts such as these were usually one of the following:
    (1) The victim had offended someone and the person offended consulted De Laurence to take revenge.
    (2) The victim owed De Laurence money.And according to some, if you owed De Laurence money, you could just place it in an envelope and address it. It would go through the postal system without any chance of being tampered with and go directly to its destination.

But apart from these accounts, what is recorded about De Laurence?

Informal studies done by Erna Brodber revealed that the name De Laurence is associated with a man who published and distributed books through the De Laurence Company. But even now some people are still confused as to whether De Laurence was/is a man or a set of books.

Her research shows that the books gave tips about how to successfully relate within the social and psychological world. Interestingly, she also found that the books were secretly read by a wide cross-section of Jamaican men. They claimed that the books gave a lot of well-needed spiritual strength, and that they were too powerful for women to read.

The �De Laurence books� were many and varied. Those that were widely read in Jamaica included "Albertus Magnus", "The Six and Seventh Book of Moses" and "The Magic Key". It is said that only the last one was actually written by Mr. De Laurence.
    However, as the practice of De Laurence was illegal, the books were banned in Jamaica during colonial days. This reaction was not surprising because like obeah and other mystical phenomena, the whites always feared that this practice could be used as a weapon against them. Yet, despite the ban, it is believed that people continued to read the books secretly and integrate the information into their medical and religious practices. Many local and religious leaders were said to be among those who read the books.

Though not talked about as often these days, De Laurence was once a powerful force in the lives of local peasants. This "high science" drove fear into the hearts of many people. Perhaps this is still the case.
    http://www.golocaljamaica.com/readar...ArticleID=1520