• Login:

Welcome to the Community Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Re: African Canadian Heritage Trail

Tropicana, I haven't followed all the links provided; I just opened this thread for the first time, but my family is one of the "Canadian pioneers". This link provides a short history of John Ware whose wife Mildred was my grandfather's sister. Dinosaur National Park My grandfather's name was Daniel Vant Lewis, and he is mentioned in the last sentence in the article.

A book written about John Ware: John Ware's Cow Country It's kind of corny, but tells a lot about John Ware's personal history.

My mom at John Ware's log cabin in Dinosaur National Park. log cabin picture

I have lots of pictures at the site in my signature. queenb's homepage

Another personal site: more family photos
    Watch your thoughts; they become words. Watch your words; they become actions. Watch your actions; they become habits. Watch your habits; they become character. Watch your character; it will become your destiny.~~Lao Tzu~~

My body may be stuck here.... but my heart is in Jamaica.

Re: African Canadian Heritage Trail

Thank you queenb. Those are GREAT links. Reminds us that the history of Black people in Canada has MANY chapters that aren't told in our schools. There are the Blacks who settled in South Western Ontario, the descendants of slaves who came to Canada with the United Empire Loyalists, the successive waves of West Indian immigration, the Blacks who lived in Nova Scotia, the Jamaican Maroons who were re-settled in Nova Scotia (some were moved on to Sierra Leone, others stayed), and the whole Quebec connection including the slave girl who burned down a good chunk of Montreal after she was abused by her master. Let's not wait until Black History month next year to explore these chapters.

Moderators. Now that Black History month is over, please archive this thread and hopefully new ones will spring up to explore each of the chapters in the history of Black Canada that I have listed and may even some of which I am unaware.

Thanks.

My body may be stuck here.... but my heart is in Jamaica.
    Seeit deh.