• Login:

Welcome to the Community Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Re: African Canadian Heritage Trail

Originally posted by Tropicana:
    [qb] Thank you....SistahD...just this moring I was telling one of my friends about you and giving you HUGE:

because of the lengths you go to as the mother of a Black child to ensure that he is familiar with his heritage. In fact, you do more than most BLACK mothers I know. If more mothers would do this, we would have fewere children who are confused and floundering in our community.

KUDOS to you. You are an EXCELLENT model for us all. [/qb]
    Trops I agree with you about SisD. She is one of the most phenomenal people that I've met. Anyway ... in TOTAL deference to your research skillz, have you checked this website???? I've discovered some things that I think are pertinent to me PERSONALLY .... it's interesting from any perspetive ...

link to africa to caribbean migration ...

My body may be stuck here.... but my heart is in Jamaica.

Thank you. I will definitely check it out blackberryrain.

Thanks ((Tropi)) ((BBR)) for the appreciation, but remember... regardless of the passion which drives some of us, in the end, it is ultimately up to the youth as to which door to open or which road to take.

At the least, I can take pride in discovering and continually learning a variety of things, which can be shared in many ways.

Anyone see this documentary?

Unchained Memories: Readings From The Slave Narratives 95183
    1 x 73' | HBO
    History | Factual

In 1865, 4 million slaves were set free. By the late 1930’s, 100,000 ex-slaves were still alive when The Federal Writers Project hired journalists and writers to travel across the country to record the memories of this last generation of African-Americans born into bondage. The result was The Slave Narratives, a multi-volume collection housed in the Library of Congress. Documented in the vernacular of the time, this unique historical record comes to life through period music, archival images, historical reenactments and readings by Angela Bassett, Don Cheadle, Ozzie Davis, Ruby Dee, Robert Guillaume, Samuel L Jackson, and Alfre Woodard, among others. Unchained Memories is the centerpiece of an extensive HBO outreach and educational project targeting museums, libraries, colleges and high schools across the country. In association with the National Underground Freedom Center, a traveling exhibition and a companion book will also be developed in conjunction with the broadcast.

An HBO Enterprises production
    Other Programmes from HBO

AWARDS

OUTSTANDING NONFICTION SPECIAL
    Primetime Emmy Awards, 2003
    OUTSTANDING SOUND EDITING FOR NONFICTION PROGRAMMING (SINGLE OR MULTI-CAMERA)
    Primetime Emmy Awards, 2003

http://www.c4i.tv/external/new_programmes.asp

My body may be stuck here.... but my heart is in Jamaica.

I have never seen it but it sounds great.

Trop, Sistah D and others thank you for the wonderful resources you've shared. I've saved this rich information on my browser.

While the school system has been abysmal in providing a rich curriculum in black history for all students I thought it important to acknowledge those African Canadians who have gone through great lengths to educate black children about African Canadian history.

I benefited from one such program that began in the 1960's, and myself and peers have shared this resource with our own children at some point.

The Black Heritage Program (later the African Canadian Heritage Association) among other active groups in my community (Greater Toronto Area) continued to try to raise the consciousness of black youth and the wider community. Ultimately parents have to find a way to control or influence the education of their children. It is a never ending effort and it is important to remember those that have paved the way - in the past AND present. Again to everyone doing their part - trop, sistahD all those willing to share.

Here's the webiste for the African Canadian Heritage Association and and excerpt from their website: www.achaonline.org

32 YEARS OF ESTABLISHMENT : A BRIEF HISTORY OF THE ACHA

1969:The ACHA started out as the Black Heritage Program at a church in the Thorncliff Park area of East York. The program was formed by concerned African Canadians who thought it neccessary to provide Black children with an avenue to learn Black history.

Mid 1970's:The Black Heritage Program moved to the Valley park Middle school in East York.

1989:The name of the program was changed from Black Heritage Program to African Canadian Heritage Association to reflect the African heritage of all Black Canadians regardless of where in the diaspora they may originate.

1992: The ACHA developed a curriculum based on the seven Principles Evaluation System and classes in African history, Swahilli and Creative Arts incorporated this new evaluation system.Over the years supplimentary programs such as chess, strategic games, home work tutorials and martial arts have been incorporated periodically.

1998: The ACHA moved to Harbourfront Community Center,627 Queen's Quay at Bathurst. We left Valley Park Middle School in 1998, after over two decades at this location. Due to financial considerations, we decided to relocate at Harbourfront Community

There's a special this week or next (I believe on CityTV hosted by either JoJo or Harold) reflecting Black Canadians in Sports (trials and tribulations) (around 5:30-6:30)

Moderators.... when the time comes to move this thread.. please move to archives (as opposed to re-moving)

((Trops)) although this is not 'Canadian' content... but a personal / historical collection someone has started -these are interesting links:

http://www.joyousjam.info/jamaicanhistoryfebruary2004/

http://www.joyousjam.info/jamaicanhistoryfebruary2005/

Tropicana, I haven't followed all the links provided; I just opened this thread for the first time, but my family is one of the "Canadian pioneers".
    Watch your thoughts; they become words. Watch your words; they become actions. Watch your actions; they become habits. Watch your habits; they become character. Watch your character; it will become your destiny.~~Lao Tzu~~