• Login:

Welcome to the Community Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Camping in Jamaica

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SillySOB</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> As for the beggars and "ghetto children", that'll probably just make the place seem more like home. I mean I'm poor and I live in a city, my neighborhood isn't exactly filled with picket fences.
    </div></div>

So would you hang a hammock down your street and sleep with all your "monthly" possessions right there??? ~probably not~ [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/70388-shameonyou.gif[/img]

Being an person who loves camping myself, I have taken a tent to Maui to camp, and I understand the cost savings, as well as the desire. But like evanovitch states, use the same caution you would at home.

I suggest camping at a property that offers those services, and using the public transit to explore the island.

Good Luck!
    <span style="font-style: italic">&quot;I donít believe the United States of America should be in the business of separating families.
    Thatís not right. Thatís not who we are.&quot; [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/frown.gif[/img]
    ~ President Barack Obama </span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SillySOB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Guns aren't common in Jamaica though, right?
    </div></div>

[img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/704555_dwl.gif[/img] sorry...this comment made me laugh. Guns aren't anymore common in Jamaica than in the US. So...how to define "common" is up to you.

Hanging a hammock along the way...nah...not something I would recommend. How would you know if you are on someones property that doesnt want you there?

AS for hiking off the main road and along the coast instead...dat nah go work! The coast line is littered with All INclusive resorts that wont let you walk across their property...

So, dont mean to burst your bubble, but I would suggest finding somewhere that specializes in camping...pop up your tent...and use that as home base then do small day trips around that immediate area.

It's definatly possible to camp in Jamaica.
    1st--only camp where you pay someone. I've camped in a nice woman's side lawn, 30' from the surf at Long Bay in Portland, $10US per night with use of kitchen and shower. If you pay someone, they take responsibility for you, and will watch out for you better than yourself in most situations.
    2nd--d'ont camp in the vicinity of any major resort area, Negril, Ochi, etc. Treasure Beach has good camping options, as do Portland and the Blue Mountains.
    3rd--travel by bus on the main roads, trust me you will get almost as much exercize riding on the busses (feeling muscles that you did'nt know you had) walk into the hills, cooler there afterall, and much less traffic if off the main.
    4th--hammock could work, but finding trees can sometimes be troublesome better a light weight backpack tent that fits on a double bed. This can double when you stay in cheap places with no screens, put the tent pon the bed without the fly, voila, no mosquitos buzzing around oyur head at 3:00am!
    I could go on, I have camped at several places on the North Coast, in the Blue Mountains, but me a St Bess Boy now, come up and camp at my place, Baboo's Garden in Accompong, I'll be open by New Year.
    Happy Camping

of course it is possible to camp in Jamaica...juss not all ovah di place because parts of it cater to visitors....the whole island is not a resort....juss like how certain States in America know fi dem facilities depending on ur interest, said ting fi yaad...

i read a post di odda day where someone said dat going to camp was not done in Jamaica...i had to laugh as we do have camps....from Girl Guide awn, we send our kids to camp..maybe not as much as during our gentler time, but we still enjoy all the amenities people worldwide do....
    u so fake, even China denied mekking u

Well then yeah, I would say that guns are common in Jamaica if they really are just as common as in the States. I thought it might be more like Great Britian considering Jamaica's past. And there really can't be that many all-inclusives, that their sheer number would make a walk around the island infeasible. As for camping on someone's property, you're right. That would always be an issue but if I'm going 15 miles/day then you'd think I could find at least one place that seems safe enough to stay at.

To completely change the subject, I was talking about my possible plans to someone the other day and she told me about her cousin, who went to Jamaica and now insists that Jamaicans, for the most part, just hate white people. I have a really hard time believing that, I mean maybe rich tourists but not just white people in general. [censored], even I hate rich tourists. So basically, what I'm asking is am I right or is her cousin? Do you guys hear that kind of thing a lot?

No, that is not true. Jamaiacans do not hate white people. She may have come across a particular individual but as a whole I can say that is definately not true. Jamaicans are very warm people with the motto "one love" does hold true.

Did you decide about your trip yet? You should listen to the people on this board as some of them have lived there. Not trying to discourage you but sway you out of harms way! Happy Travels! [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]

...after reading everything here, I think you should "go for it!"
    [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/70402-thinking.gif[/img] <span style="color: #00CCCC"> tdude ponders the possibility of the birth of a new religion </span>
    Yeah, but i didn't know what i didn't know.

i think you should go for it too.....just put down a hotel you're "staying" at on your immigration form, or you might not get in...
    you will always mistreat that which you misdiagnose.

i definitely say GO FOR IT [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/70409-waytogo.gif[/img]

jamaica is a great place to GO WITH THE FLOW

and don't make too many rules for yourself ahead of time

the options will all be their when you get there . . .

wish i could go

WALK (or whatever) GOOD

ps. make sure you have an excellent cell phone and the right cell service for there

Administrator

Good point about what you put down on the immigration card. Don't put down 'camping'. That is definately going to raise the eyebrow of the immigration officer. Put down any hotel.

Don't pay no mind to your narrow minded cousin. Be aware,however, that Jamaicans don't suffer fools gladly. And will say so directly.

Re: cellphone. You can bring an 'unlocked' phone and buy a sim card when you get here. Otherwise for $50US you can but a phone on arrival. They do sometimes have specials for less than that.