• Login:

Welcome to the Community Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Camping in Jamaica

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SillySOB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">[quote=turtledude]Guns aren't common in Jamaica though, right? </div></div>

Sadly, they are way, way, way too common [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif[/img]

For those who say "Go for it!". What exactly are you saying to go for? Camping at an establishment that offers this service (as we all know places in JA do); or just for Silly to pitch tent any where, with the expectation that people are (or will) open to someone encroaching on their property...plus, what about the inherent danger to him/herself if the intent is to just go with the flow and throw down tent? Mi just waan know...

Silly, you can go camp out but preferably do it an establishment that offer such a service.

i would go to the first pay to pitch a tent place
    pitch a tent
    talk to the other tent pitchers
    and find out where else they've been pitching tents
    then i would head to the next pay to pitch a tent place
    pitch a tent
    talk to other tent pithcers
    and find out where else they've been pitching tents
    then i would head to the next pay to pitch a tent place . . .

Camping in Jamaica allows tourists to observe nature closely. A major part of campsites in Jamaica are confined within the vicinity of the Blue Mountains of Jamaica. The camping and hiking tours offer a scope of being in close proximity to the beauties of the surroundings.

The Jamaica Alternative Tourism, Camping and Hiking Association (JATCHA) was established by the government in order to help tourists interested in adventures like camping and hiking. Visitors of a campsite require a permit from the Jamaican Forestry Department for access to the campgrounds.

Camping in tents, log cabins or dormitories are exciting and adventurous. Most of the necessities like sheets or blankets needs to be carried by the campers. The authorities are not responsible for providing the things.

The Hollywell National Recreation Park in the Blue Mountain region offers tents and cabins. The cabins have proper bathroom, a small kitchen and a fireplace.

Clydesdale, 3700 feet in the mountains, was a coffee plantation and a pine nursery. The place has a dormitory with bunk beds with showers, toilets and a cooking pit. The Cinchona Botanical Gardens is just an one hour walk from Clydesdale. Tents are available to camp on the grounds of the garden. The Whitfield Hall Hostel is a private campsite where camping necessities are supplied.

Portland Gap Forestry Hut is high up in the mountains (5,200feet). It has a supply of water,an outhouse and a space enough for 30 tents but one has to sleep on the floor.

Camping on the peak of the Blue Mountain is interesting with a view of Jamaica from the top, tent camping is also allowed. The drawbacks are inadequate supply of water and cold temperatures between December and February.

Many resorts also provide camping facilities to their guests on the grounds.

Administrator

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Seveen</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The drawbacks are inadequate supply of water and cold temperatures between December and February.</div></div>
    Portland Gap has a pipe that runs from a spring up above it. Freezing water, but ample supply.

Bout temperatures... it was freezing atop Blue Mountain Peak in June too!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SandiF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For those who say "Go for it!". What exactly are you saying to go for? Camping at an establishment that offers this service (as we all know places in JA do); or just for Silly to pitch tent any where, with the expectation that people are (or will) open to someone encroaching on their property...plus, what about the inherent danger to him/herself if the intent is to just go with the flow and throw down tent? Mi just waan know...

Silly, you can go camp out but preferably do it an establishment that offer such a service. </div></div>

Thank you Sandi...I was beginning to wonder that myself. Everyone here encouraging SillySOB to just go pitch a tent anywhere he wants isnt really doing him any justice. We all know that there are risks with that....

SillySOB...let me ask you...when you pick this arbitrary place to pitch your tent or hang your hammock...what do you intend to use as your "facilities". In other words...when its time to potty where you a go? Hence the reason I suggest pitching your tent in a place designed just for that...they will then offer you "facilities". And as Seveen then suggested...you will talk to other campers who will guide you on to the next place along the way.

Another question for ya...have you ever been to Jamaica? or any island in the Caribbean?

The only time I've been to Jamaica was for a one day stop on a cruise I took when I was twelve =) From the little I remember, it was beautiful but all we did was climb the falls that are so popular these days. I've travelled a lot though, and I'm good at talking with people. I figure most of it is the attitude you bring with you that makes people react one way or the other.

As for staying in an arbitrary place, I don't think I would stay in some arbitrary place. Either some place extremely secluded or some place where I know I'd be welcome. By the way, thanks for all the information everyone. I've looked but haven't been able to find much. The tips about customs and cell phones are great appreciated.

One question though, anyone know if there's any spearfishing in Jamaica? Think cops would hassle me if I was carrying a speargun around?

walk with a machete - a speargun - will attract attention [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/704555_dwl.gif[/img]

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Seveen</div><div class="ubbcode-body">walk with a machete - a speargun - will attract attention [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/704555_dwl.gif[/img] </div></div> That is too funny! [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/70388-shameonyou.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/704555_dwl.gif[/img]
    &quot;When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
    V.Frank