• Login:

Welcome to the Community Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Dishwasher

Chat With US Immigration Attorney Nadine Brown 10/25/2007

US Immigration Attorney Nadine Brown will be a guest in this forum on October 25th, 2007 from 11 am - 4 PM. Post your US immigration related questions here and Ms Brown will respond to them during that time.
    Out of Many One People Online
    http://www.jamaicans.com

Re: Chat With US Immigration Attorney Nadine Brown 10/25/2007

...During a visit to Jamaica 2 yrs ago we became friends with an average struggling family and have kept in constant contact since. They have 3 children. The "wife" procured a temporary job in a Florida "island" resort last year through a "recruitment program" she signed up for 3 years ago. She earns, after living expenses are deducted, what amounts to $150 a month which is deposited directly to an account in Jamaica.

The "husband" last summer requested that I send a letter from a lawyer, extending an "invitation to visit" us here, to the Jamaican consulate(?), and then he would handle what would be required of him, to get here.

I talked to my lawyer and he told me it wasn't that simple, and it would take a lot of time and money to make that happen.

I've also read news reports recently that substantiate this...and that it's not purely a matter of money given the current political uproar about illegal immigrants, quotas, etc.

<span style="color: #CC0000"> So here is my question:</span> Obviously, what my friend really wants to do is relocate. I know I could get him a job tomorrow. What would you suggest I tell him, or do specifically ? (all I have now is "hearsay") I would love to have them here, and regularly send them money as is.
    Yeah, but i didn't know what i didn't know.

If I overstayed on my last visa and am married to a Jamaican (I'm American),(didn't have my paperwork from Kingston done yet the last trip I made), but plan to get it before I go back to US, can immigration officials do anything to me?

I did have my marriage license and tax papers from property I own here when I came last trip but didn't seem to matter to the official I was dealing with.

Is it better to married in Jamaica or file for fiance visa; which is easier and how long is it either way ?
    &quot;Faith Is Taking the First Step,
    Even When You Don't See the
    Whole Staircase.&quot;
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

So glad to see Nadine Brown back to answer questions. Last time you had great info, so thank you.

My question is how can someone in Jamaica check on the status of their filing if they do not have a filing #. My friend in Ja married an American woman 4/06, and she said she filed. He never heard anything from the embassy, and she came back for a visit 4/07, but did not see him. Wifey claims she filed for him 1/07 (not sure why she waited so long), but his auntie in the states talked to a family memeber who says she never filed. He sent money to her b/c now she wants a divorce, but she did not file that either. He is not sure how to check his status since she will not give him the filing #. Now he is frustrated and trying to get a lawyer in Ja to handle the divorce b/c he doesn't want to stay w/ her when she just takes his money, doesn't file, and never even goes to Ja to visit. Plus, he can't apply for a work visa if he is already in the system w/ wifey.

Sorry I was so long winded, but how can he check his status?
    Beauty is in the eye of the beer-holder.

Re: Chat With US Immigration Attorney Nadine Brown 10/25/20

1.If someone came to this country in a fiance visa and got married, is there a time frame that they have to file for adjustment of status?

2.Is that person considered illegal or out of status until the adjustment is filed since the fiance visa is no longer valid because its after the 90 day limit? They got married before the 90 day but didn't file yet.

3.Can the person get in trouble with immigration or get hassled by the law?

4.One more, sorry, if the fiance hyphinated her name with her husband, will that cause confusion with filing the papers and what name should they use, her maiden or new name on paperwork?

1. If someone is in the USA on a H2B visa (work program), can their status be adjusted to that of a permanent resident, if they already have an I130 pending with NVC?

1B. If yes, is it better for a sibling (who is a citizen) to file the adjustment or a parent (who is not yet a citizen)?.

1C. What's the approximate wait if either person files?
    <span style="font-weight: bold">A we sey IGLAZ FI LIFE!!!</span>

http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/7892/buju.jpg

Are there any options for someone who has illegally resided in the country for over 20 years?
    Can they still be sponsored, etc?

My boyfriend, Ted, and I have been living together for over 3 years. We have applied for a visa for him to meet my family in America and have been turned down 3 times. They always ask the same questions of him, "Are you married?" (No) and "Do you have children?" (No) and then deny him. Process takes like 2 minutes and $100 US gone again. We cannot marry as I would lose my medical insurance. He has tried to show them papers to verify he owns property and a home and has bank accounts for over 15 years, but they refuse to look at them.

Is there any way that we can get him over to the US for 3 weeks to visit my family? They cannot afford to come to Jamaica at this time. Thank you for your time.
    `If your dream doesn't include the &quot;impossible&quot; it's too small - Joel Osteen

What fees have increased recently or soon increase?? [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/70379-moneyeyes.gif[/img]