• Login:

Welcome to the Community Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Monk--A Question

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Silent_River</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I guess you could say I am a Buddhist as I have taken sets of vows and am a member of a lineage within a Shaolin Temple where I am a 35th generation disciple of the Cao Dong Sect of Ch'an Buddhism.

Please feel free to ask me anything else, and if you don't mind sharing where you are- if you are- currently training and in what. </div></div>

Di chread has certainly evolve [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif[/img]

Tonks for sharing (((monk))) Can you tell me more on what it is to be 'the 35th generation disciple of the Cao Dong Sect of Ch'an Buddhism.' What does this entail? Pretty sure I can find it if I google, but a personal touch is more intriguing... [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]

</div></div>

yes, I second that request
    And he will slay any Dragon for me [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/inlove1.gif[/img]

CEW and monk mek mi brain tiad at this late hour [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif[/img]..Always something new to learn..but mi have a question for you both..monk if you wanna weigh in on this from the other end of the spectrum..no prob..

Anyways, oonu convo brought back to me poor mind sonething I came across some time ago and I thought it was an interesting question:
    Does Evolution really contradict Creation?
    Sure, from the christian faith account, the universe was created and could not possibly have evolved..well, that I believe, anyways,nothing for it to evolve from. But what about life evolving? If GOd is all powerful, then he could have created life directly/instanteously or it could have evolved by natural processes. I mean, the human body is jsut one form of organic life. Can theology or science be certain of that it could be one or the other?

Now the LORD God had formed out of the ground all the beasts of the field and all the birds of the air.
    the LORD God formed the man The Hebrew for man (adam) sounds like and may be related to the Hebrew for ground (adamah) it is also the name Adam (see Gen. 2:20). from the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living being. Gen. 2: 19 and 3
    Do we know the exact process of became and form

Just a wondering [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/70402-thinking.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]
    I am thinking...do you smell smoke?

FKA-DC

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Silent_River</div><div class="ubbcode-body">CEW and monk mek mi brain tiad at this late hour [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif[/img]..Always something new to learn..but mi have a question for you both..monk if you wanna weigh in on this from the other end of the spectrum..no prob..

Anyways, oonu convo brought back to me poor mind sonething I came across some time ago and I thought it was an interesting question:
    Does Evolution really contradict Creation?
    Sure, from the christian faith account, the universe was created and could not possibly have evolved..well, that I believe, anyways,nothing for it to evolve from. But what about life evolving? If GOd is all powerful, then he could have created life directly/instanteously or it could have evolved by natural processes. I mean, the human body is jsut one form of organic life. Can theology or science be certain of that it could be one or the other?

Now the LORD God had formed out of the ground all the beasts of the field and all the birds of the air.
    the LORD God formed the man The Hebrew for man (adam) sounds like and may be related to the Hebrew for ground (adamah) it is also the name Adam (see Gen. 2:20). from the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living being. Gen. 2: 19 and 3
    Do we know the exact process of became and form

Just a wondering [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/70402-thinking.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]

</div></div>

the answer to this is quite clear- evolution does not deal with the existence of God.

FULL STOP. PERIOD.

and just for further emphasis,

Science, as a general rule, also does not deal with this question. It can't be tested or proven. That is the realm of metaphysics and philosophy.

However, as far as LITERAL interpretations of the Bible, in other words if you literally believe the 2 creation stories as contained in the Bible are literally true- then you are at odds with what is known and provable in this day and age. You hold an irrational and ignorant belief. I do not mean ignorant as an insult, but the rum is making it so that is the only word I can think to type...

It's fascinating to me, because for the life of me I can not understand why any believer in God would want the Bible to be accurate- as it makes him quite a capricious, even sadistic, and I would say malevolent deity.

What I have noticed is that in these conversations, if you are not careful, the goal posts are easy to shift and arguments easily conflate. CEW is kind of conflating things...as you go back into it you see that suddenly scientists are being introduced as believers in God- but that is not the argument. The argument is about the Bible being taken literally.

So again I am saying science disproves literal interpretations of the Bible. This is clear, just by looking at the human genome as it connects our ancestors and relatives in the animal kingdom- apes for example. The same genetics we use to determine guilt or innocence in crime labs, or paternity suits, or a host of other practical and applicable purpose, are the same that show us man and ape share common ancestry, and so there was no Adam and Eve as conceived in the 2 genesis stories...there is no literal fall, no trickery by the devil that removed us from God's grace- why he stood by and let it go down...

Now if you want to speculate about how God uses evolution, that is quite another thing...and I would say that if there is a God, then it would only be obvious that one of the laws of his universe is the theory of evolution.
    a noble stroke he lifted high that hung not but swift with tempest fell On Satan's proud crest- no sight nor swift thought, less could his shield such ruin intercept; 10 paces huge he back recoil'd...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> but the rum is making it so that is the only word I can think to type...</div></div>

[img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/704555_dwl.gif[/img]

and u couldnt share?

Its only a question my dear monk,and an intriguing one to me.. from my side of the spectrum that is.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">but the rum is making it so that is the only word I can think to type...</div></div>

Okay now.. [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/70402-thinking.gif[/img]

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What I have noticed is that in these conversations, if you are not careful, the goal posts are easy to shift and arguments easily conflate. CEW is kind of conflating things...as you go back into it you see that suddenly scientists are being introduced as believers in God- but that is not the argument. The argument is about the Bible being taken literally.</div></div>

mmmm, [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/70402-thinking.gif[/img] So, monk, there is no such a thing as a christian scientist or a scientist who believes in God?

FKA-DC

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Empress_Nylah</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> but the rum is making it so that is the only word I can think to type...</div></div>

and u couldnt share? </div></div>

[img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif[/img]A it mi a say, mi wouldn't mind having a sip at this time of the night..and mi nat even drink [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/70390-shhh.gif[/img]..

FKA-DC

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Silent_River</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Empress_Nylah</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> but the rum is making it so that is the only word I can think to type...</div></div>

and u couldnt share? </div></div>

[img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif[/img]A it mi a say, mi wouldn't mind having a sip at this time of the night..and mi nat even drink [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/70390-shhh.gif[/img].. </div></div>

It's alright, I'll have your shot of rum [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif[/img]

No sah..if it takes me all night, mi wi drink it off.. [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif[/img]

But first, let's see if monk will offer us some...

FKA-DC

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Silent_River</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can you tell me more on what it is to be 'the 35th generation disciple of the Cao Dong Sect of Ch'an Buddhism.' What does this entail? Pretty sure I can find it if I google, but a personal touch is more intriguing... [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]

</div></div>

well if you are familiar with zen buddhism, and these days it seems like you see that word everywhere and it is sort of new agey and hoky with things like zen rock gardens for your desk and such- sort of like bobble head jesus's I would imagine- well zen buddhism is a japanese derivitive of Ch'an Buddhism- which was born in Shaolin Temple. A sect of Buddhism which traces it's origin to a story of the Buddha giving a dharma talk on Vulture peak.

In this 'talk', the Buddha actually said nothing at all- sitting there in front of thousands, he simply held aloft a flower. Of all the multitudes gathered to hear him speak, only one of his disciples understood the transmission of the dharma and understood, intuitively, what the Buddha was 'talking' about. When the disciple understood the dharma being transmitted and attained, he smiled. That is considered the first mind to mind, heart to heart transmission of the Buddha's teaching.

This transmission was then passed on, referred to as a special transmission outside the scriptures, until it came to an Indian monk named Bodhidharma. He eventually travelled to China and settled in at Shaolin temple where he took on disciples. many of the teachings are characterized by mental devices and training disciplines meant to short circuit the mind and by shutting it down sort of reveal it. This kind of teaching is where you get Bart Simpson snapping his fingers to the question posed, what is the sound of one hand clapping. It seems almost nonsensical but if you understand it is perfect.

Ch'an comes from the sanskrit word for meditation/contemplation. So this kind of practice is said to achieve a direct and experiential pointing to what is called the original mind. At this stage, only those who acutally, intuitively know, know.

In Shaolin, they blend this pursuit of a transcendental pathway to attainment with various forms of meditation, we have action meditation and non action meditation.

Basically that means that while some people practice buddhism by sitting around in lotus position for hours, we practice gong fu, for example...

As an overlap, Shaolin Temple monks and disciples have built into their vow structure components of the bodhisattva principle, in that in addition to standard buddhist vows there is also the motivation and discipline to do good, don't do bad, and help others, as bodhisattvas forego ultimate nirvana until all sentient beings can join them.

This premise is interesting to me, mainly because while Yashua told his disciples and taught them what the greatest love was, and admonished them to love one another as they would wish to be, yet we have many who would see themselves in paradise before others...and as a point of fact, they hinge paradise on a point of ego, which could not possibly be a part of any saviour's schematic of salvation as it makes no sense, metaphysically speaking...in light of the teachings.
    a noble stroke he lifted high that hung not but swift with tempest fell On Satan's proud crest- no sight nor swift thought, less could his shield such ruin intercept; 10 paces huge he back recoil'd...

The way monk has separate the two points is interesting and is a good point.

I think the reason that ppl get upset with the creation story being said as untrue is because if that aspect of the bible is false then who is to say what other parts are false including the main point of Jesus being the Son of God.