• Login:

Welcome to the Community Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Dyoll 73--A Question..On Being a Humanist

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> This is true for Christianity as well. I think Christ illustrated this well when he met the Woman at the Well. He met her at the point of humanity. And that is something that we, his followers, and everyone as a whole, can continue to work on. In any case, I do agree that is-or should be- the common meeting place for each individual. World would be a better place..</div></div>

I think this story illustrates IMHO, the difference between Humanism and Christianity in that the implicit moral of the tale within itís Christina context is to highlight divine mercy and ultimately conformity to the Christian ideal. The underlying intent of this passage is to promote the concept of spiritual salvation and thereby reconciliation from sin. In my experience biblical commentary has always looked askance, or at the very least, with a jaundiced eye at her morality. As a Humanist I would not seek to convert or judge but understand even that which I may not agree with. (I guess Iíll wait for the comments about my amorality or immorality [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img] )
    I agree that if people could meet on the common ground of neutrality without any hidden agendas we would all be in a better place.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I had thoughts on the 'religious' humanist. I wondered how do they coincide the concept of faith and reason. Can faith and reason marry? What are your thoughts on this.
    </div></div>

WOWÖthatís a huge philosophical discussion and I would hate to speak on behalf of everyone who call themselves Humanist. I think Dyoll did a great job of providing some insight above so I'll stick to a personal opinion as you ask.

To me faith and reason are incompatible. Although some would say there are varying degrees of agreement within the scope of faith and rational thought. I just look at the history of religious thought to see how well these two concepts meld.
    Within reason there are no areas of thought outside the bounds of exploration; that we cannot challenge, doubt or question. As a rational thinker I am free to enquire and then to agree or disagree with any given claim. Also, if a set of values or beliefs does not personally convict or convince me then I feel no need to adopt or follow them. In other words I take responsibility for my beliefs and decisions.
    Faith requires that itís dogma - usually a set of sacred pronouncement backed by divine authority or revelation - be immune from evaluation and by default criticism. Questioning the validity of assertions of religious faith is blasphemy or the work of the ďenemy in-a-meĒ (one of my favorite of the charges leveled at me). Furthermore there is no rational way to test the validity of transcendent truth/knowledge.
    I know this is a somewhat simplistic answer to a more profound question, so just my thoughts on the matter.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> And Would you consider yourself to be a secular or religious humanist? I read where you can enjoy art music and things of a religious nature and I wondered...</div></div>

I donít even try to understand the constructs of religious Humanism. Yes there are many elements of religion that promote Humanistic values of compassion, forgiveness, charity etc but there are also many other practices: discrimination, persecution, unquestioning submission to divine authority that are the antithesis of Humanistic ethics.
    I consider myself a Secular Humanist. Religion plays no part in my life stance and I hold no animosity towards people that disagree with me or seek to bring them around to my way of thinking. We all share this earth so to me religious divisions and intolerance is untenable.
    With regards to my enjoyment of things sacred - religious expression in art, music, literature etc. Ė itís just another aspect of our human nature so I can appreciate it within that context. Iím moved as much by the aesthetic qualities of the Sistene Chapel, a Renoir or Thangka paintings. I love Celtic worship, Kirk Franklin and Yolanda Adams as much as Bruce Springsteen, Etta James, Sugar Minott, Saba Jidka or Oliver Mtukudzi. As The Bard himself said ďif music be the food of love, play onĒ I just donít take the meaning of religious expression literally. Hope that clarifies rather than confounds!

BTW here is the link again to the AHA: http://www.americanhumanist.org/3/Hu...spirations.php