• Login:

Welcome to the Community Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Bar-B-Barn,For Real, and Catcha

<span style='font-size: 14pt'> I have to put in a word for the places I experienced this last reach. It has been a long time since I have stayed at Bar B Barn. Without going into details, there have been some major operational changes in management and food services etc. there that are still evolving as we speak. But the family member who normally just ran the hotel has taken over other parts of the operation, and the changes are quite evident.

Many of the rooms have been refurbished (a process which I had seen going on for a while), and my second floor room was comfortable, and most importantly, immaculate. My floors and ceiling were new, as well as my bathroom fixtures. The same charm of what I call, gingerbread furniture, was still there however to keep the feel of a boutique Jamaican hotel.

If anyone is concerned about food because of the change, worry not, it's still excellent. Honestly I hadn't been eating much lately, but one of my favorites that made me clean the plate was the chicken parmesan from the Italian restaurant.

On the beach and want to ear, have a drink???? NO PROBLEM, they bring it out to you.

The staff....what can I say....EXCELLENT, I have NO staff complaints, only compliments, and may I say that the atmosphere among the staff is so much more relaxed now. They had a hard row to hoe too because the place was PACKED all of the time. Word must be out that this is the place to be, even if you are not staying there.

Another wonderful thing that Angela has done is the live entertainment. They were so good that I was hanging on my bar stool every night just shouting at them. There is a soloist named Shellie MY GOODNESS, I had to call Angie on my cell phone and let her hear this lady singe "Summer Time", and when I request my fav "Turn Your Lights Down Low" this girl TORE IT UP. She is not afraid to stylize beyond the way the original artist did the song, and she is just a bundle of energy.

There are TWO people backing her up that sound like a whole darn band.

You get beach chair service and beach towel service, and your breakfast comes with your room, and that means anything on the menu for breakfast.

At midnight on New Years Miss Angela was on the beach pouring free champagne for her guests (and not just one glass too), and there are free drinks specials often, like rum punch etc (I watched them make it, and they don't skimp).

I also like the fact that Angela comes down most nights to hang out WITH the guests. I saw many repeat guests come and hug her like she was family. She is also not adverse to rolling up her sleeves and helping her staff in a pinch, to the point that I saw her sweating profusely in one of her gorgeous outfits, but a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do to make BBB a success.

Security is always on the job, and the beach area is kept tight.

You are within walking distance of everything you need, and it is on a great location on the beach. I'm going to have to give BBB my stamp of approval and encourage anyone who is interested to stay there.

So for the last two days I rolled down to one of my favorites...For Real.. because Seveen and Abu had left and I couldn't bear to stay at BBB without them.

My check in was smooth and the staff greeted me back "home". Now this place is also immaculate and the rooms are HUGE and gorgeous. I was given a second floor room with a wrap around balcony and a full view of the ocean (obscured somewhat by some trees. Where's my machete when I need it?)

It's quieter on this end of the beach and this is a place where a lot of local folks feel comfortable to drop by. Sitting at this bar you can get a whole nother Negril education. Sammy is there selling his great stuff, and I always have to buy at least one thing from him. This trip it was a pure white wrap to go with my white swimsuit.

The owner is always on the property and sits there cool and calm surveying his "kingdom". The chef will prepare whatever you want and bring it to your room or meet you in the beach. Drinks are more "economical" here and you will be surprised at the end of the day when your bar tab is only like $15.00.

While I was there we had a tropical depression, and the ocean was cutting up. Being on second floor I felt secure, and left my door open and slept to the sound of the waves crashing on the shore. From my bed I could see palm trees and ocean, no need to even go outside.

Once again I have to say, FOR REAL is one of my favorite places on the beach.

Had to make a trip up to Catch a Falling Star for some of those slamming shrimps and to soak up the atmosphere. I inquired about a room but they were FULL , good for them!!!!!!
    This to me is the most beautiful bar/atmosphere in Jamaica, and I had to go check on them to be sure they had survived the taping of the final dinner between Miss New York and Tailor Made. This was also the historical site now of his proposal of marriage [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/704555_dwl.gif[/img]

Well the place is still standing, and prospering. They have not completed the "love pools" yet (proposed hot tub thingy's on the cliffs or something like that), but the place is just gorgeous and getting prettier everyday.

My shrimp did not disappoint, and Seveen has some shrimp wrapped in Plantains (now who would have thought of that), that she just inhaled.

There was a young lady reclined on a couch at the bar quietly reading her novel, and that is how it is at Catcha....no loud noises, no partying, just this ethereal atmosphere.

Well Catcha doesn't NEED my stamp of approval, it is by far the premiere property in Jamaica right about now, and business is booming, but I just had to throw my two cents in for them and say JOB EXCELLENTLY done.

This stay in Negril for me was my best by far. I am glad I moved around some and I must say that if you stay at either of these three properties you can't go wrong.</span>
    IF you are sittting around waiting to see me fail, your [censored] is going to get mighty sore..

Re: Bar-B-Barn,For Real, and Catcha

So what's the average daily rate for these places??
    R Kelly all summer long *sigh* [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/inlove1.gif[/img]

MMF please be gentle [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/70384-praying.gif[/img] with me - were not hotel people like most in this forum, for many reasons but mainly because we stay with family, generally. Last year March tho, when we drove around the entire island, we stayed at BBB for 5 days while in Negril.

I enjoyed it immensely. Out of everything, the peeps were the best thing of all. In particular, there was a woman who wore many hats who checked us in her name, if I recall, was Olga or some such Nordic like name. Im almost certain it was Olga. Do you know of whom I speak? Was she still there? Gots ta be the most hospitable hotel worker Ive ever met.

Question for you what room were you in exactly? [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/70402-thinking.gif[/img]

Even tho I started a new job just recently literally last month Im going home month after next. [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/bannana_purple.gif[/img] Some might recall last year was the first Id spent any real time in Negril since I was a late teenager. Suffice it to say, it almost swore me off Ochi. I fell in love with it.

The sweetest part is that I managed to roll this trip into my job! Mercy!
    (Tell about that via PM soon.) [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/70390-shhh.gif[/img]

Were also going to celebrate my 6yrs since diagnosis. [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/bannana_purple.gif[/img]

Ok, I think Im rambling.

What was I trying to say again? Yeah ok what room did you stay in this time???

never stayed at BBB or For Real, but i DID stay at Catcha last year during high season.

$250.00 (that's toooomuchfifty) for the new villas. [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek2.gif[/img]
    If you can't learn to do something well, learn to enjoy doing it poorly.

<span style='font-size: 14pt'>at BBB we paid less than $100 a night including FULL breakfast and taxes</span>

hey marilyn i am going to send this to Angela

i know she will appreciate it

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: loops</div><div class="ubbcode-body">never stayed at BBB or For Real, but i DID stay at Catcha last year during high season.

$250.00 (that's toooomuchfifty) for the new villas. [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek2.gif[/img] </div></div>

I stayed at Catcha last October. They had a half price sale and I stayed in the new villa on the hill for $125 a night, taxes & breakfast included. Well worth it to me for some quiet time and the view. The staff cannot be better.

Couldn't afford it every reach but I treated myself and it was worth every penny [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/dance01.gif[/img]
    ......The question is not, &quot;Can they reason?&quot; nor, &quot;Can they talk?&quot; but rather, &quot;Can they suffer?&quot; ~Jeremy Bentham

So y'all gonna post links to their website if they have?? [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/70409-waytogo.gif[/img]
    R Kelly all summer long *sigh* [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/inlove1.gif[/img]

We beat yuh - our per nite converted to just under $60! [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/70379-moneyeyes.gif[/img]

[img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif[/img]

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Seveen</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style='font-size: 14pt'>at BBB we paid less than $100 a night including FULL breakfast and taxes</span> </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YuriYuri</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We beat yuh - our per nite converted to just under $60! [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/70379-moneyeyes.gif[/img]

[img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif[/img]

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Seveen</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style='font-size: 14pt'>at BBB we paid less than $100 a night including FULL breakfast and taxes</span> </div></div> </div></div>

that sounds about right Yuri....last summer I paid about $60/nite there....
    Anyone can have an itchy bottom