• Login:

Welcome to the Community Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: PORTLAND!

PORTLAND!

Many people agree that Portland is one of the best places to stay in JA, and I think I want to go somewhere new this time. [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/70402-thinking.gif[/img]

With my love of Portland Oregon, I am thinking Portland Jamaica is 20 times better [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif[/img]

Any suggestions on a not-so-expensive place on the beach in Portland.

hurry before mi tax money run out! [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/70390-shhh.gif[/img]
    <span style="font-style: italic">&quot;I donít believe the United States of America should be in the business of separating families.
    Thatís not right. Thatís not who we are.&quot; [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/frown.gif[/img]
    ~ President Barack Obama </span>

Re: PORTLAND!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bandanna</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Many people agree that Portland is one of the best places to stay in JA, and I think I want to go somewhere new this time. [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/70402-thinking.gif[/img]

With my love of Portland Oregon, I am thinking Portland Jamaica is 20 times better [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif[/img]

Any suggestions on a not-so-expensive place on the beach in Portland.

hurry before mi tax money run out! [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/70390-shhh.gif[/img] </div></div>

Had to [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/704555_dwl.gif[/img]at this post because when I was living in Vt., I moved to a town called "Jamaica" and somehow, in my sun-starved mind, thought maybe I MIGHT feel a little closer to the REAL thing!! [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/704555_dwl.gif[/img]

WHAT WAS I THINKING??!! [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/70392-silly.gif[/img]

Glad I could make ya laugh JaJewel [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/70409-waytogo.gif[/img]

Now where do I stay in Portland??? [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/70394-bawlout.gif[/img]

[img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif[/img]
    <span style="font-style: italic">&quot;I donít believe the United States of America should be in the business of separating families.
    Thatís not right. Thatís not who we are.&quot; [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/frown.gif[/img]

depends what you want to do, what you like, villa, cabin, cottage, beach, mountain with rivers and falls... and i could go on and on hehe, so many choices and taxi fares are good in portland as they don't get as many tourists as the west coast, this area of Jamaica is wicked nice! [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/notworthy.gif[/img]

the place we might try out next time we go is San San Tropez, on the other side of the road from the entrance to Frenchman's Cove and not far from Blue Lagoon.

GongGirl [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/notworthy.gif[/img]

I am a keep-to-myself kind of person, I like cottages, and places that are self-sufficent. I would prefer the place be Jamaican owned so my money goes where it should. I am a beach girl 100% and love to walk out my door and onto the beach! [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/70377-loveeyes.gif[/img]

I may still go to Negril, but for some reason Porty is callin [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/70402-thinking.gif[/img]

ILP where are you?? [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/helpsmilie.gif[/img]

there are not too many places directly ON the beach there bandy...san san tropez i think is pretty close tho...places on the water are pricey. If you head into the hills, places like Fern Hill or Jamaica Heights...you'll find views to die for at more reasonable prices.

taxi fare or a private driver is a must in this area if you really want to enjoy yourself and see all there is to see.
    If you can't learn to do something well, learn to enjoy doing it poorly.

Thanks loops [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/70409-waytogo.gif[/img]

loops is right on the money with the info [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/70409-waytogo.gif[/img]

always loved this page for many local owned places (check the Where to stay section, many places in portland, st thomas are listed there, some on the beach too like in Long Bay) http://worldstogethertravel.com/jama...x-jamaica.html some places more rustic, such as the roots rasta or Jah B in the mountain - that would be more if you would want to take the hike to the peak or if you just love being around rastas, most are affordable places and many will have a maid/cook (san san tropez is owned by Italians, great italian food btw.) Many of the blue lagoon villas, are owned by outsiders (americans, etc), and are quite expensive. but on the other side of the lagoon, in the hills, there are many places there too.

Bandy...Porty is nice nice nice...go for it!!! Gongirl has wonderful information on her site and gorgeous pics. Just remember....it's not Negril..very different. I think you would love it there....(alot more effort I think is required to get around though).

Where is ILP_?????? [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/icon_hug.gif[/img]

and when exactly is this happening and why aren't you taking your Swedish friend?
    One of these days, I'm going to fly away to Zion. Fly away home. - RNM

thx swedish ! Talking about driving.. Thats why i love to have a guide with us during our trip, you can hire guides in jamaica, they get free admission to touristic spots and know their way around. If your lucky, they might have also own a taxi and drive you around themselves. Or I would suggest you hire a driver and a guide hehe either or.

I know that if it wasn't for Mokko, we were stuck in Long Bay on a late Sunday afternoon... There are no taxi barely on Sundays (we will remember this next time, either hire a driver and mokko as our guide or no travels on Sundays) Mokko knows his surrounding and didn't like the idea of sleeping near a beach, his place is near Mineral Bath in St Thomas. anyway, to say the least, the Chill Out bar owner (Princess), finally convinced someone who had stopped to drive us. We paid a bit more (it was still cheap for us tho hehe, taxis aren't expensive compare to canada anyways), well sometimes you get what you pay for i guess, lol, the driver was CRAZY, driving so fast... speeding in corners, and passing ppl that was stopping for potholes. Don't we were ever glad that Mokko made him turn into this shortcut, instead of going all the way around Manchioneal etc. We arrived in a flash lets say.

At the end of the day, while chit chatting, we realized that we made that ultimate decision, sleep with the thieves or go with the crazy driver (who we realized was prob drunk driver!)

Glad we made it out alive

[img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/proud_jamaica.gif[/img]