• Login:

Welcome to the Community Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Camping

Camping

I've googled camping in Jamaica until my fingers bled, and I can't seem to find much on the subject other than people saying not to do it. I do realize the problems associated with camping, but I want to do it regardless.

I've been to JA many times, but I never really paid attention to people camping. I know I've seen a fair amount of tents in the Negril (Roots Bamboo) area.

So, here's my million dollar question: Any suggestions / stories of camping in the Negril area? How about the Blue Mtn area (I'd like to spend 2 weeks up there)? It would be during Nov - Jan or Dec - Feb. I would split my time at different places if there's a variety of places to check out. I will be with my wife and daughter (almost 2 years old).

Thank-you in advance!!

Re: Camping

I recently saw someone list a price for camping as $15US per day in a trip report , prolly Roots Bamboo..someone here will know and advise yu,
    and contact MOKKO at Mokko

he may be able to tell yu where yu can camp safely on tht side of the island ..

Mokko seems like a great start for me! From what I read he's located in the Blue Mtns. He'll be perfect for guide service on the Blue Mtn range. Thank-you for the link.

I can't wait to read people's stories of camping and more suggestions. Keep them coming. [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]

The Rough Guide to Jamaica mentions some camping possibilities around Negril, at Cousin's Cove and Orange Bay.
    You can probably find the info online if you google.
    Things turn out best for those who make the best of the way things turn out - Jack Buck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ThisIsMyStory</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've googled camping in Jamaica until my fingers bled, and I can't seem to find much on the subject other than people saying not to do it. I do realize the problems associated with camping, but I want to do it regardless.

I've been to JA many times, but I never really paid attention to people camping. I know I've seen a fair amount of tents in the Negril (Roots Bamboo) area.

So, here's my million dollar question: Any suggestions / stories of camping in the Negril area? How about the Blue Mtn area (I'd like to spend 2 weeks up there)? It would be during Nov - Jan or Dec - Feb. I would split my time at different places if there's a variety of places to check out. I will be with my wife and daughter (almost 2 years old).

Thank-you in advance!!

</div></div>

Libby and Chef may know a little about this as they used to do it on their property in Port Maria.
    IF you are sittting around waiting to see me fail, your [censored] is going to get mighty sore..

The rasta we stay at when we go in Ja, Mokko, get many visitors that camps at his place, not long ago I believe he had a group of 17 ppl, so he didn't have enough cabins to lodge them all, some decided to camp in tents there. so it is do able, definitely, i know staying a cabin is 25/night not sure if he charges 25 when you camp out in a tent instead... i can always verify for you when ever i talk to him again, we usually speak 2-3 times per month. if you do use him, tell him you're a friend of Browning and to give you a good deal [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/70409-waytogo.gif[/img] he will also gladly bring you to JAH-B (a bobo rasta friend of his) that lodge for 3 days for the blue mountain hike and the prices are more than affordable.

irie

I can think of a couple of options not mentioned yet. It is possible to camp at Uncle Sams in Little Bay which is just south of Negril about 15 miles but almost an hour by car. I have seen people camp there in the past and I would be happy to call Sam and ask for you.

Up in the Cockpits in another place owned by TonyK who is a member here. I have that informaiton at home and can post it later this afternoon.

All that said, I have seen Gong Girls photos and video of Mokko's place and it looks heavenly!

Wow! Now I'm starting to have real options. GongGirl, if you could please ask about the camping rates. I'd be very greatful. Mokko's area looks so nice. I can just imagine what it looks like in person.

As far as camping in Negril goes, I really want to be somewhat close to the beaches and cliffs. This trip will be my wife's first, and I want her to experience Negril. I can't wait for her to experience all Jamaica has to offer.

I know I said it once, but I'll say it again--I really do appreciate all the ideas. You all are very helpful and we appreciate it.

Keep the suggestions and stories rollin'!!

next door to roots, herbie's place, ocean front. 15 per night.
    better to want than to have . . .

next reach dec. 28, 2011
    april 04, 2012

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JitterBug</div><div class="ubbcode-body">next door to roots, herbie's place, ocean front. 15 per night.
    </div></div>

here it is just last week [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif[/img]

Keep the faith . .