• Login:

Welcome to the Community Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2014 Travel...

Administrator

2014 Travel...

The travel bug has bitten and the itch needs to be scratched. Dust has settled on the camera and its time to take it up again.

Tentatively in May, Barbados (one week). Definitely in November: Jordan, Rome, and Israel (2 weeks)

Has anyone been to any of those places, especially Barbados? Thoughts?
    aka ChurchDude. I want that moniker back! Until then....

"Sometimes you have to let go to see if there was anything worth holding on to"
    ~ Anon

Quote Originally Posted by Diplomat View Post
    The travel bug has bitten and the itch needs to be scratched. Dust has settled on the camera and its time to take it up again.

Tentatively in May, Barbados (one week). Definitely in November: Jordan, Rome, and Israel (2 weeks)

Has anyone been to any of those places, especially Barbados? Thoughts?

been to Barbados a few times... see how long it takes to drive round the island.... I always get confused on the roads up north... Oystins on a friday night for food music entertainment, ... Horse Racing on a saturday afternoon... I never pay to go into the stand,... I go in the middle of the course with the hard core bettors. I break even....Harrisons cave is worth a visit... I stayed the the Hilton Garrison the last time...easy place to drive...my children like Cheffettes a fast food joint... they do a pretty good Roti...Crop over I try to avoid as it is too much soca calyso as well as what it represents....

I like Bathsheba on the east coast... is bush and mountains my kind of place!
    There is a restaurant in downtown Bridgetown that all the locals rate.. it is owned by a white Bajan... i cant remember its name.. but it does a decent good meal..I try to eat there at least twice a week when i go there .all the taxi drivers know it.... it is up stairs on top of a bar .. seriously ask them and they will know it....i will see if i can find it on google map!

I recommend the yellow sauce...and the Tortuga cake which is owned by a Jamaican company!!!!! if u are into dancing St Lawrence Gap has a dance sport or three.... Keep an eye out for Bussa statue we have to honour men who were into obeah, murder and rebellion....

I like Italy and italians... I worked with Italian companies alot over the years, I found them generally to be supportive and appreciative extremely loyal but they expect loyalty and emotional buy in... And have been told despite being a dirty day rate contractor that they considered me part of the familia. The problem once u are in you cannot leave.... ......they love coffee and can differentiate between the person and the job...,I lived there for four months ..Forget what u consider Italian food.. Food in Italy is brilliant...varied..... great place if u dont come into contact with its bureaucracy...greatest food on the planet, interesting approach to prostitutes!...

dont ever go to a restaurant before 8 pm for dinner!!!!!!!! That is just rude....Rome I spent 24 hours there once as a tourist... though i have been there a few times usually am in and out of meetings... the forum, Colosseum that mouth Spanish steps, Vatican..The vatican is worth visting it is dramatic...and probably one of the greatest public spaces on the planet....one thing if u are stuck on a wine...Montepulciano de Abruzzo never fails to deliver a credibe. Ameroni is richer ..never ever order a latte or cappuccino after 9 am ever.... never order cappuccino with a pizza.... My challenge to you is to find a italian who voted for Bellasconi! But hold onto ur hand luggage when going through the airport.. if u travel with a very attractive female life can become challenging!

Jordon only did a exercise just deserts, lots of ruins history.. Like all islamic countries i found it a friendly pleasant and hospitable but that is out in the desert..And once u use the greeting "Sallam Alekum" on a personal level the laws of hospitality apply....But face and getting fixed targets too flexible... That was decades ago...
    Last edited by Wahalla; 02-11-2014 at 04:53 AM.
    What nonsense! How can you have a revolution without shooting people ? Lenin 26th October 1917...
    If Christians go to heaven, I do not want to go to Heaven: Hatuey. 2/02/1512

Administrator
    Thanks, Wahalla; much appreciated. Sounds like Barbados is quite the adventure and I am inching towards making that firm instead of tentative. Will be staying far from the prostitutes in Rome but I understand the city is the pickpocket capital of the world. Have you heard anything like that?

dont ever go to a restaurant before 8 pm for dinner!!!!!!!! That is just rude....Rome I spent 24 hours there once as a tourist... though i have been there a few times usually am in and out of meetings... the forum, Colosseum that mouth Spanish steps, Vatican..The vatican is worth visting it is dramatic...and probably one of the greatest public spaces on the planet....one thing if u are stuck on a wine...Montepulciano de Abruzzo never fails to deliver a credibe. Ameroni is richer ..never ever order a latte or cappuccino after 9 am ever.... never order cappuccino with a pizza....

What is the rationale behind these no-nos?

~ Anon

Quote Originally Posted by Diplomat View Post
    Thanks, Wahalla; much appreciated. Sounds like Barbados is quite the adventure and I am inching towards making that firm instead of tentative. Will be staying far from the prostitutes in Rome but I understand the city is the pickpocket capital of the world. Have you heard anything like that?

What is the rationale behind these no-nos?

[/FONT][/COLOR]
    Barbados is boring... Which is y it is great for family holidays....sorry but compared to jamaicandem doah have a lot of good looking females!

Italians restaurants open for dinner 6 pm but u never see any one in them till 8pm..0730 earliest.....just so it seems... I spent a lot of time on the east coast round Abruzzo so seafood and rostochini...if u think Jamaican men are fastidious about food, italians are a different league....

A cappuccino is a morning drink....just don't order it after 9am. This is just a no no....

..italians find it strange the pizza cappuccino order especially when people think they are being culturally sensitive......Italian cuisine is very diverse...oh a dinner is anti pasta, carne + sides, pasta desert..

..surpringly u may just get spaghetti by it self, served with olive oil...at lunch...watch that..for pepper sauce ask for peppacini ..oh there is an argument whether spaghetti bolongese is real... So don't ask for that!
    In abruzzo they finish meal fruit..peel and eat.

Carne may be meat or fish....

..also pizza in Italy is simple...usually thin base dont recall seeing a thick based pizza,Usually no more than 4 toppings....paste, mozzarella plus 2 more....at most...again I ask for peppocino it is like North African Harrissa.....

Fish is often cooked plainly....and good food needs no dressing up is what I learnt there....

Italians drink a lot at meals...so never appear to get drunk....and women still wear fur....

I had lot of good experiences in Italy with italians...I got told off by a immigration for being sour...my non cooperative travel mode. I explained I always got picked on by immigration......he told me look there are pretty girls smile....girls pretty smile...........but there is a lot of unemployed Africans on the fringes of soeity..

Italy has amazing history arthetcture and are proud of their achievements.... Eni, fiat ferrari, milano fashion are wold leaders....i home ur wife is slim cause shopping for yanki sizes is diffiuck inn italy...

they are embarrassed by their politics at times, and they genuine ly were hurt when they imprisioned the black guy and the two white suspects got off in the Kercher case...I was told it made us look like Americans...oh and there are a lot more blonds on TV with black roots....
    Last edited by Wahalla; 02-11-2014 at 10:32 AM.
    What nonsense! How can you have a revolution without shooting people ? Lenin 26th October 1917...
    If Christians go to heaven, I do not want to go to Heaven: Hatuey. 2/02/1512

Barbados is boring as hell

@ ms. exced.

Spent three days in Rome in Fall 2012 and it was not enough. So much to see! I would definitely check out the Vatican and the Colosseum. The Vatican will need half day to hit the highlights. Try to get there in the morning and plan for at least 4 hours. Yes, pickpockets abound in the Vatican and all over Rome. They do not allow backpacks in the Vatican but other bags are OK. From the Vatican, rest up a little, have a light meal at any restaurant around St. Peter's Square, then grab a taxi over to Piazza Navona. Lots of things to see and photograph around here and the best lemon gelato at any of the gelato stands. Walk around the square, down the little streets toward the Pantheon just to take a photo or two. Find a popular inexpensive cafe - there are many - and have a good meal. You should then be able to walk to the Trevi fountain which would be glorious at night with the lights - it is crowded during the day.

If you go the Colosseum, you will need an entire day. It is a photographer's delight. There are all these gardens around the Colosseum and there are self-guided tours. Bring a bottle of water and a sandwich.

Come back with nuff pictures!

been to barbados and venice (not rome)

rome is on my list though (and would have been hit in 2012 summer had someone not talked me into going to JA )

mek sure yuh bring extra disk
    “Not all those who wander are lost.” –J. R. R. Tolkien

What if you took your life back....LIVE like you MEAN IT~~~~~FL

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by MsExced View Post
    Barbados is boring as hell
    That's what I call going straight to the point!

~ Anon

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Peasie View Post

Spent three days in Rome in Fall 2012 and it was not enough. So much to see! I would definitely check out the Vatican and the Colosseum. The Vatican will need half day to hit the highlights. Try to get there in the morning and plan for at least 4 hours. Yes, pickpockets abound in the Vatican and all over Rome. They do not allow backpacks in the Vatican but other bags are OK. From the Vatican, rest up a little, have a light meal at any restaurant around St. Peter's Square, then grab a taxi over to Piazza Navona. Lots of things to see and photograph around here and the best lemon gelato at any of the gelato stands. Walk around the square, down the little streets toward the Pantheon just to take a photo or two. Find a popular inexpensive cafe - there are many - and have a good meal. You should then be able to walk to the Trevi fountain which would be glorious at night with the lights - it is crowded during the day.

If you go the Colosseum, you will need an entire day. It is a photographer's delight. There are all these gardens around the Colosseum and there are self-guided tours. Bring a bottle of water and a sandwich.

Come back with nuff pictures!
    A photographer's delight? Ah, sounds like a place I can look forward to for sure

~ Anon

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Gen View Post
    been to barbados and venice (not rome)

rome is on my list though (and would have been hit in 2012 summer had someone not talked me into going to JA )

mek sure yuh bring extra disk
    So what did you think of Barbados? Do you agree with MsExced and Wahalla?

~ Anon