PDA

View Full Version : Horseface! Who are you calling horseface!

Nanook
01-21-2006, 01:36 PM
Fun with Bucko...

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c236/beadedheron/Jan2006/Horseface.jpg

TaraB
01-22-2006, 01:28 AM
ohhhhhhhh I just love horses, /forums/images/graemlins/70377-loveeyes.gifbut only get to ride summer when I visit the granparents. my favourite animal, cats and dogs /forums/images/graemlins/70400-talktohand.gif

loops
01-22-2006, 09:30 AM
beautiful pic of your big guy (((Nanookey)))

/forums/images/graemlins/70409-waytogo.gif

Nanook
01-22-2006, 10:29 AM
Hi TaraB! Bucko is 29 years old this spring and in May I will have had him for 25 years! I liked how his foggy breath is clouded across his face and chest and the morning sun makes him appear orange!

yo loops! I see he is out there waiting for me and it's barely even light out! spoiled spoiled spoiled!

Ohh, this would be a good place to put this really fun photo I ran across the other day, not sure how it will turn out in the scanner but I'll go find out!

Nanook
01-22-2006, 10:40 AM
This photo was from 9 years ago...

Notice all four feet in the white Arabian are off the ground! They were having play time! Bucko misses his mare so much, she passed away last Feb...

Horses at play

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c236/beadedheron/BuckoCracker.jpg

SistahD
01-22-2006, 12:07 PM
Great shots ((IM)) reminds me of my own days of great joy while I was growing up

Nanook
01-22-2006, 12:40 PM
Thanks SistahD! You grew up with horses? I had to wait till I was 23 before I got my first horse but I was good friends with lots of horsie people so I rode a lot. Gentle giants....

TaraB
01-22-2006, 01:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Notice all four feet in the white Arabian are off the ground! They were having play time! Bucko misses his mare so much, she passed away last Feb...

Horses at play

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/70377-loveeyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/70377-loveeyes.gif horsies.they r bootiful /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

BND1999
01-22-2006, 02:49 PM
Love your horse photos.. your two babies... wonderful

Nanook
01-22-2006, 10:22 PM
Tonks Nina, ya know how I love the animals! Bucko is more like a big dog than a horse! he is spoiled rotten bad bad....

n.c.rootswoman
01-22-2006, 10:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Horses at play

[/ QUOTE ]

What a great life for them. So you had the mare at least 9 yrs?

Nanook
01-23-2006, 10:08 AM
Thanks Rootsie, I had Cracker for 20 years, did all her training myself, and she was my "porsche", while Bucko is my 4-wheeler.... I miss her baaaad, so does Bucko!

mountaingal
01-23-2006, 01:38 PM
on what occasions would you ride, Nanook? did you ever ride competitively?

n.c.rootswoman
01-23-2006, 01:54 PM
Dang IM your quite accomplished.
Love the names

Nanook
01-23-2006, 04:13 PM
Thank Mountain, I used to live on horses and rode in horse shows doing games like barrel racing and pole bending but trail riding is my thing. I used to love swimming on horses when I lived on a lake until the day Bucko threw me in the water and swam out to the middle of the lake and then back and forth because he was lost. A friend rescued him by herding him in with his canoe before he drowned but when he got to shore he was very shaky. I did a little bit of orienteering, racing through the woods with a compass and a map but that wasn't my bag either, I just like to trail ride quiet through the woods and see the deer and scenery, with only the sound of my horses hooves. There was a time back in the mid 70's when I had a very old broken down most of the time car, and it was horse to the grocery store and the post office with a stop at the local bar for a couple pre-ride home beers followed by some wild rides home though the woods, just lay flat so you don't get knocked off by a tree branch and let the horses go! Big fun that, they knew the way! It's been a year and a half since I've ridden but I hope to get back up this spring. I went once since my first hip replacement but I need a next one.

Rootsie, Bucko was named when I got him, and I knew why before I brought him home! He could crow hop like a rodeo bronc! He still can but I don't let him! Cracker, we called her Grahmie Cracker and she was very very sweet, a princess. Her registered name was Sars Amira which means princess in Arabic. Her daddy's name was Sar Ibn Moniet and lived out his days in Texas, syndicated for 4 Mil. How I came upon her is a story in itself! I did some horse trading/breeding back in my cowgirl era, it was a very fun time!

mountaingal
01-23-2006, 05:43 PM
Wow! Respeck, Nanook. Horses can be so fascinating, but I still am a little afraid of them and their size. So for you to be riding them all kinds of ways means you must have gotten to know them and be really comfortable with them.

On Saturday when I took my daughter for her lessons I happened to see a lesson for the more experienced riders. One woman spent a lot of time trying to discipline her horse - she would tell him to stop and he'd continue walking a couple of steps afterward. so the instructor made the rider practice for at least half an hour having the horse take two steps then halt - two steps then halt - two steps then halt...it really made me realize that horseriding is about dealing with another creature with a mind and will of its own. i rate people who can make a horse cooperate and do things like jump fences.

maybe one day you could post a pic of you on a horse back in the day.../forums/images/graemlins/70384-praying.gif

Nanook
01-23-2006, 06:06 PM
Mountain, riding is all about communicating with the horse and learning how they think. Bucko was the biggest jerk in the world when I got him, but it was because he is so smart. We've had a 25 year battle of the wills as well as playing lots of games out in the yard, he is a very funny guy. Novice riders can take him for a ride without a problem, he knows they don't know what they're doing, then when I get on his back is a completly different animal, he knows I like a lot of spice in my ride and he gives it to me! He's racehorse bred so he gets so hot before I even get him saddled he is all sweaty from anticipation. He dumped me along a highway once and the sheriff timed him at 43 MPH as he was running down the road towards home. They gave me a ride and told me he belongs in the Kentucky Derby!

Bucko is still conversation in the horse world at the shows, everyone remembers him! I have a few pics around of me riding him trhough the years, I'll have to take a look around and see what I can find. This photo was already posted in Q.K's assignment thread where I took a tour of my local park from his back, and there are a couple more there too....

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c236/beadedheron/Jan2006/BuckoMe.jpg

more (http://www.jamaicans.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=19515376&an=0&page=0#Pos t19515376)

mountaingal
01-23-2006, 06:29 PM
nice photo. when was that taken? Bucko sounds like a legend. who knows, maybe i'll buck him up one day...:)

i'm looking at his backside - does he have Appaloosa in him?

ETA - also, you ride him without a bit? i always thought those were essential.../forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Nanook
01-23-2006, 06:39 PM
Mountain, there are these devices called Hackamores, you can train some horses to ride well with them instead of using a bit which will put pressure on the horses mouth. Hackamores put the pressure on the nose but you have to know how to use them.

You have a good eye! Bucko's daddy was a well known top winning Quarter Horse named Splash Bar, and his mother was an Appaloosa! he has a few spots but no blanket. I bred a few Appoloosa's back in the day but the 10 months of waiting to see what color is coming was too much to bear!

QK13
01-28-2006, 09:33 AM

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/70377-loveeyes.gif He is sooo handsome!! /forums/images/graemlins/70459-hugs.gif
I used to ride a bit when I was younger... much younger.
A friend once took me through the woods heading for home after sunset!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/70367-help.gif
She said, just duck, she knows the way home!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
You really put your trust in the animal when riding thru the woods in the dark!! /forums/images/graemlins/70409-waytogo.gif

Nanook
01-28-2006, 09:59 AM
Yes Q.K, duck and hang on tight! I can still hear us laughing going through the woods like that on the way home in the dark!!!

ReggaeGirl2000
02-14-2006, 09:48 AM
Oh my... just seeing these pictures now for the first time and they are so beautiful!!

You are more than blessed to be able to have pets like these... I work on a local farm and we have 2 Clidesdales (spelling?) and 1 Canadian - all of them are so beautiful and I sooo love being around them /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Love the cows at the farm too, especially the little babies!! Bottle feeding them is such a joy!!

Bless,
RG

Suesumba
02-14-2006, 01:15 PM
nanook you sound like a real boss dame /forums/images/graemlins/70409-waytogo.gif

Nanook
02-17-2006, 10:47 AM
lol SueSumba I'm the boss alright but it's a struggle to stay at the top some days, heheh...

ReggaeLover, it must be great hanging around the Clydes, I love them they ar such gentle giants!

Bucko is happily munching on $10.00 a bale 3rd crop pure Alfalfa this morning, but it will keep him warm in this 30 to 50 below wind chill tonight...

Where is H.O I needs him to bring me a truckload of that stuff, it's from Winnepeg! /forums/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif

Conaway
02-17-2006, 12:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Fun with Bucko...

[/ QUOTE ]

Beautiful animal. Your love for him and his deceased mate is obvious. He must bring you much joy and a great reliever of stress. I haven't riden a horse since childhood but remember the experience vividly. /forums/images/graemlins/70409-waytogo.gif

Nanook
02-17-2006, 01:53 PM
Thanks Castle! yes, a part of me went with Cracker when she died last spring. Her breeder was the love of my life who is also deceased, but I called to him to come for her that day when I was waiting for the vet. I felt his presence comfort me in knowing he heard my pleas. I cannot even imagine losing Bucko, I can barely remember life without him in it. I hope to have him around for many more years, after all, he is only 29 years young!

Tropicana
02-22-2006, 11:38 AM
BEAUTIFUL horses. I haven't done any riding since August. First time in 10 years I haven't gone riding at least once a week. I REALLY miss it. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Just can't afford it right now.

Nanook
02-23-2006, 10:03 AM
Thanks Tropi! I miss riding too. My goal is to just get out there and do it as soon as the snow clears from the trails. I used to love winter riding but neither one of us can take a slip in our old age anymore! I might have my daughter start riding Bucko this spring, it will help keep him young!

wandaweberg
02-23-2006, 02:24 PM

Love how all fours are completely off the ground.

I just discovered this thread!!