PDA

View Full Version : U.S. : A Policy Of Preventing Democracy

johnnycakes
05-12-2011, 10:38 PM
And how many of you know about the polls in the Arab world that Noam Chomsky is talking about?

From ZNET and Democracy Now:

NOAM CHOMSKY: The U.S. and its allies will do anything they can to prevent authentic democracy in the Arab world. The reason is very simple. Across the region, an overwhelming majority of the population regards the United States as the main threat to their interests. In fact, opposition to U.S. policy is so high that a considerable majority think the region would be more secure if Iran had nuclear weapons. In Egypt, the most important country, that’s 80 percent. Similar figures elsewhere. There are some in the region who regard Iran as a threat—about 10 percent. Well, plainly, the U.S. and its allies are not going to want governments which are responsive to the will of the people. If that happens, not only will the U.S. not control the region, but it will be thrown out. So that’s obviously an intolerable result.

In the case of WikiLeaks, there was an interesting aside on this. The revelations from WikiLeaks that got the most publicity—headlines, euphoric commentary and so on—were that the Arabs support U.S. policy on Iran. They were quoting comments of Arab dictators. Yes, they claim to support U.S. policy on Iran. There was no mention of the Arab—of the Arab population, because it doesn’t matter. If the dictators support us, and the population is under control, then what’s the problem? This is like imperialism. What’s the problem if it works? As long as they can control their populations, fine. They can have campaigns of hatred; our friendly dictators will keep them under control. That’s the reaction not just of the diplomatic service in the State Department or of the media who reported this, but also of the general intellectual community. There is no comment on this. In fact, coverage of these polls is precisely zero in the United States, literally. There’s a few comments in England, but very little. It just doesn’t matter what the population thinks, as long as they’re under control.

read the rest of the article at:
http://www.zcommunications.org/the-u-s-a...by-noam-chomsky (http://www.zcommunications.org/the-u-s-and-its-allies-will-do-anything-to-prevent-democracy-by-noam-chomsky)

Archie68
05-13-2011, 02:49 AM
Noam, the supporter of mass murders speaks?

The Arab world's democracy? Arab democracy means more Jihadism and more people supported oppression. It is they way they are wired.

Please let me know if you want evidence of what they have done and continue to do.

See what is happening now in Eygpt. Pity the Copts.

lonewolf
05-13-2011, 12:05 PM
Ok, I have a question(s). If the US did not meddle, would they be dictator free?
Would they suddenly move forward as it pertains to human rights?
Would women stop being looked at as property of men?

If there wasn't any oil in the Arab world this discussion would not exist
The world needs oil and they have it.

How much money does Noam have invested in stocks that have a vested interest in oil that rely on US imperial interest to fatten his portfolio?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

<span style="font-weight: bold">Noam Chomsky CLOSET CAPITALIST</span>

Chomsky, for all of his moral dudgeon against American corporations, finds that they make a pretty good investment. When he made investment decisions for his retirement plan at MIT, he chose not to go with a money market fund or even a government bond fund. Instead, he threw the money into blue chips and invested in the TIAA-CREF stock fund.<span style="font-weight: bold"> A look at the stock fund portfolio quickly reveals that it invests in all sorts of businesses that Chomsky says he finds abhorrent: oil companies, military contractors, pharmaceuticals, you name it. </span>
When I asked Chomsky about his investment portfolio he reverted to a “what else can I do?” defense: “Should I live in a cabin in Montana?” he asked. It was a clever rhetorical dodge. Chomsky was declaring that there is simply no way to avoid getting involved in the stock market short of complete withdrawal from the capitalist system. He certainly knows better. <span style="font-weight: bold">There are many alternative funds these days that allow you to invest your money in “green” or “socially responsible” enterprises. They just don’t yield the maximum available return</span>
</div></div>

johnnycakes
05-13-2011, 12:27 PM
Ok, I have a question(s). If the US did not meddle, would they be dictator free?

Without U.S support the Sauds, Mubarak, the criminal state of Israel, and others would be long gone. Iran would not have had the Shah's dictatorship for 25 years which brought about the fundamentalist Islamic government they have now. Without the Saudi dictatorship we would not have had the preeminence of Wahhabism and bin Laden's al-Qaeda. I would guess this list could go on for quite a long paragraph with a little research. Iran WAS a democracy before the US intervened and that early beginning could have been the start of an Arab Spring back then. It was U.S and European interventions that propped up and installed most of the governments now in power there.

W:
Would they suddenly move forward as it pertains to human rights?

The United States has never ben concerned with human rights if there was money as an overriding factor.

W:
Would women stop being looked at as property of men?

The U.S has no problem with that either. Bad as the Soviets were, when they held sway in that country , women went to school and were granted a far better life than under the U.S imposed regimes that followed.

W:
If there wasn't any oil in the Arab world this discussion would not exist

TRUE

How much money does Noam have invested in stocks that have a vested interest in oil that rely on US imperial interest to fatten his portfolio?

Under TIAA-CREF the pension plan that most universities use, there is limited ability to choose the stocks in which the plan invests. You can do that with the money that you voluntarily put in to the plan (as I did) but the bulk of it is untouchable.

I suppose if we communists were really principled we would just shoot ourselves after retiring rather than do what everyone else HAS to do to live a decent life.and that is own a pension plan invested in the capitalist system.
There is no COMMUNIST pension plan available in the country in case you hadn't noticed.

lonewolf
05-13-2011, 01:10 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I suppose if we communists were really principled we would just shoot ourselves after retiring rather than do what everyone else HAS to do to live a decent life.and that is own a pension plan invested in the capitalist system</div></div>

You said it, I didn't it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> There is no COMMUNIST pension plan available in the country in case you hadn't noticed. </div></div>

Quite the contrary, I notice. Have you? Now that I have your attention on this subject.
Why is that? Why can't communism survive if it's such a superior system?
Because it's only superior at failing.

johnnycakes
05-13-2011, 10:03 PM
Quite the contrary, I notice. Have you? Now that I have your attention on this subject.
Why is that? Why can't communism survive if it's such a superior system?
Because it's only superior at failing.

Wolfie,

Please define communism for me.