Boardite Group" /> Boardite Group RSS Feed" href="http://www.jamaicans.com/forums/external.php?type=RSS2" /> Boardite Group - Best of Jamaicans.com - RSS Feed" href="http://www.jamaicans.com/forums/external.php?type=RSS2&forumids=37" /> Lenten Fast - Page 4
  • Login:
- Powered by vBulletin" />

Welcome to the Community Forum. For boardites on facebook join our Boardite Group.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Lenten Fast

Re: Lenten Fast

CB
    <span style="font-style: italic">All Glory to The Hypnotoad!</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pepper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I didn't grow up practicing the lenten sacrifice. It doesn't seem important...actually the entire sacrifice concept is still foreign to me. </div></div>

Same here....I's still trying to wrap my head around the significance.....
    I am good, but not an angel. I do sin, but I am not the devil. I am just a small girl in a big world trying to find someone to love.

That is how I read it too, general speaking. The &quot;you&quot; in Nylah's comments was not directed to the poster because she was originally responding to Mrs. Ahmidis post that some &quot;folks&quot; are on a journey and need Lent to focus and the point I got from Nylah's subsequent posts was that ALL people who are believers should be on a continuous journey nobody should say they have arrived. It wasn't specific to anyone. This is a misunderstanding. Let us move on and continue the discussion.
    Psalm 27: The Lord is my Light and my Salvation whom shall I fear?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: seemiyah</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That is how I read it too, general speaking. The &quot;you&quot; in Nylah's comments was not directed to the poster because she was originally responding to Mrs. Ahmidis post that some &quot;folks&quot; are on a journey and need Lent to focus and the point I got from Nylah's subsequent posts was that ALL people who are believers should be on a continuous journey nobody should say they have arrived. It wasn't specific to anyone. This is a misunderstanding. Let us move on and continue the discussion. </div></div>

seemiyah

but I am done with this.

I wish you all a good discussion

And he will slay any Dragon for me [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/inlove1.gif[/img]

I am going to lock this for a while and remove all posts not pertaining to the topic.
    I have been driven many times to my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had absolutely no other place to go. -- Abraham Lincoln

Maybe leaving will allow those who are misunderstood a chance to review and approach the conversation?

Just a thought....hi comps
    I am good, but not an angel. I do sin, but I am not the devil. I am just a small girl in a big world trying to find someone to love.

Hello Tilly

I removed the posts that were not relevant to the subject of this thread.
    I have been driven many times to my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had absolutely no other place to go. -- Abraham Lincoln

So I went to church yesterday and the homily was on the Lenten Fast, how appropriate . So the priest says there are several reasons to fast and he was going to give us 4 of them. Now I am trying to remember them which is bad but what I remember is:

1. Fasting expands your compassion - Think we touched on that in the discussion here. The hunger you feel while fasting is completely voluntary so you become more aware of those for whom it is not, the hungry and poor in society, which should inspire you to reach out and help.

2. Man does not live by bread alone - fasting reminds us that material things are not the way to God and that we need to focus on our relationship with God and not physical comfort.

3. Fasting should benefit someone else - If you are making a sacrifice fasting you should be spending less money or have some sort of surplus of food etc. At the end of the period that should be donated to charity for the betterment of others.

4. Fasting and prayer - Ok I missed out this part but I think he said about when facing difficult decisions fasting and prayer gives clarity and something........
    Psalm 27: The Lord is my Light and my Salvation whom shall I fear?

o dang - looks like something happened. sorry i missed it because i always think even in the midst of a vigorous debate that may seem tangential, we may learn something about the original topic.

(((SMY))) - i'm taking to heart your 3rd point. i have noticed that i'm spending less. i was thinking of donating the cost of the coffees i've given up to homeless folks on the street, but am ashamed to say i haven't done that. i'll start putting aside that money starting this week, and donate it at the end of Lent.

i've really struggled this second week of my fast. partly because i've been in a number of meetings where food has been present, and also because of social activities.

also, i've started to crave food before bedtime again. i'm starting to think that i'm fighting an addiction.

i need to really pull myself up this week.

am having some trouble with meditation. would appreciate some assistance/sharing from others who practice it - when you do it, what it consists of, etc. if anyone has any biblical passages to share, could they be from psalms, please and thanks.