Boardite Group" /> Boardite Group RSS Feed" href="http://www.jamaicans.com/forums/external.php?type=RSS2" /> Boardite Group - Best of Jamaicans.com - RSS Feed" href="http://www.jamaicans.com/forums/external.php?type=RSS2&forumids=37" /> Learning obeah - Kingstonian studies 'high science' in Portl - Page 4
  • Login:
- Powered by vBulletin" />

Welcome to the Community Forum. For boardites on facebook join our Boardite Group.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Administrator

Re: Learning obeah - Kingstonian studies 'high science' in P

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sukuna</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Same argument for all beliefs

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can't remember a single instance where anything &quot;worked&quot; in anybody's favor.</div></div>
    I cant imagine if somebody worked obeah on somebody else they will tell the whole world.

Unless is your own you a talk bout.

You mean if Obeah worked everybody would be millionaires? </div></div>
    No, I wasn't thinking anything to do with being millionaires but now that you mention it, why not? And the business of equating arguments for/against obeah as the same for beliefs is simply dragging a red herring across the trail.
    aka ChurchDude. I want that moniker back! Until then....

"Sometimes you have to let go to see if there was anything worth holding on to"
    ~ Anon

well maybe you didn't get it. I meant that you could very well say that Christianity is no good if so much badness a carry on at home although so many claim to be Christian.

Well, the question was asked to britisha so I am awaiting her response as well, because it adds some insight to the discussion.

If you supposed to know wa Obeah be an yu na know, na come ask me. The people who do Obeah, know what they need it for. You have cited a long list of things so you already know.

You however claimed that it does not work, so therefore you are implying that it is good for nothing. So ana nothn you a ask

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChurchDude</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sukuna</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Same argument for all beliefs

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can't remember a single instance where anything &quot;worked&quot; in anybody's favor.</div></div>
    I cant imagine if somebody worked obeah on somebody else they will tell the whole world.

Unless is your own you a talk bout.

You mean if Obeah worked everybody would be millionaires? </div></div>
    No, I wasn't thinking anything to do with being millionaires but now that you mention it, why not? And the business of equating arguments for/against obeah as the same for beliefs is simply dragging a red herring across the trail. </div></div> how can you even see the red herring with those blinders on???? Allllll those christian's in Ja and abroad a pray for the state of the nation an things naw improve dem juss a get worse...so where is the power of prayer???? same place di obeah man deh

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can't remember a single instance where anything &quot;worked&quot; in anybody's favor.
    </div></div>

and we know the same argument is made for Christianity. Slavery didnt stop when both slaves and masters believed in it, so I think the question of Obeah needs to be looked at from a different angle.

I was having dinner with some friends last night had they were complaining that this woman in their prayer group hijacked the group with her request for Jesus to make her boss give her the raise she wanted.

Well, homegirl didnt get the raise......I dont have to bang you over the head with the correlation.

Regardless of what ppl believe or dont believe Obeah is about, what is evident is that how it is perceived what prepetutates the mis-understanding of what it can and cannot do.

The 1840's Revival in Jamaica with the &quot;mayalists&quot; speaks to that.
    And he will slay any Dragon for me [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/inlove1.gif[/img]

Administrator

Basically, you are reading way too much into a question that I've been curious about for a long time. I would guess most Jamaicans know about obeah or know someone dabbling or who has dabbled in it. Growing up in my neck of the woods, it was common to hear people talk about using it for the reasons I mentioned. By the time we moved out, some of those people were still broke, some were dead, some kids dropped out of school because they didn't pass common entrance, whatever. If someone were to say to me that obeah is mind over matter, then I could handle that, but it seems to me that charging money so someone can supposedly pass an exam, get/keep a man or woman, put a spell on somebody, or whatever else, is a scam.

And just in case you're wondering, I take the same position with people who peddle/offer hankies, holy water, miracle spring water, praying at specific hours or whatever as guarantees for answered prayers.
    aka ChurchDude. I want that moniker back! Until then....

"Sometimes you have to let go to see if there was anything worth holding on to"
    ~ Anon

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChurchDude</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Basically, you are reading way too much into a question that I've been curious about for a long time. I would guess most Jamaicans know about obeah or know someone dabbling or who has dabbled in it. Growing up in my neck of the woods, it was common to hear people talk about using it for the reasons I mentioned. By the time we moved out, some of those people were still broke, some were dead, some kids dropped out of school because they didn't pass common entrance, whatever. If someone were to say to me that obeah is mind over matter, then I could handle that, but it seems to me that charging money so someone can supposedly pass an exam, get/keep a man or woman, put a spell on somebody, or whatever else, is a scam.

And just in case you're wondering, I take the same position with people who peddle/offer hankies, holy water, miracle spring water, praying at specific hours or whatever as guarantees for answered prayers. </div></div>
    I never knew that the Obeahman was working on moneyback guarantee. Since when?
    But if anybody is selling their service per guarantee, then it is a scam

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sukuna</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    I used to back Witchy? I don't remember &quot;backing her&quot; but I remember NOT ridiculing her for saying that she is a Wiccan...for the simple reason that I respected her opinions on the matter, and 2ndly she was one poster that could make a point, and make it well...Sukuna, yuh memrie shaawt...unless yuh nain deh bout but we had a few lively obeah chreads bout yah...yes, man.</div></div>
    Actually my memory is quite good. For all I remember if it were not stories nothing could ever be discussed normally on Obeah bout here.
    Mek me probe some more cause it still fuzzy. Remember this is personal. That mean say if somebody come on the board and tell you them a Obeahman you would give them the same respect that you did to Witchyooman?
    So you a try tell me when me say anything bout Obeah, firstly, you na respect me opinion on the matter and secondly me kyaan or naa mek no point? I mean, check your responses on this thread to any pro Obeah argument, it is ridiculous.

I think for those who have anything for Obeah on this board, it is part of our culture and certainly deserve more respect than something you just picked up along the wayside, like say witchcraft. </div></div>

Again, you are being difficult...Why do you want to weave me/Witchy and others who haven't posted here in a long while, into your tangled web? Why?

If you remember, there was a guy here...Naah call noh-name..who came and gave info on different African religions etc etc..and i respected what he stated, since he was describing HIS RELIGION[s]...it noh matter, ppl should have a right to what they believe...If I may make the deduction, you are saying that &quot;Obeah&quot; is a religion...if that is the case, then *I* will have to say that that is how YOU conceptualize it...and<span style="font-weight: bold"> *I* don't...</span>

..and agen you are very ambiguous in your words, and talk in parables, like <span style="font-weight: bold">

Science is science.

What are you talkling bout????</span>

On this note mi gaawn, mi noh like when odda ppl name a call hup call hup, and since mi noh ha noh blue boot fi goh clim noh elebin step...*I* am stepping out of this yah passa passah....U R on your own.
    <span style="font-style: italic">If it must choose who is to be crucified, the crowd will always save Barabbas</span>..John Cocteau.

<span style="font-weight: bold">all the lonely people, where do they all come from?</span>

<span style="font-style: italic">IGNORE A TROLL, di TROLL LOSES</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Again, you are being difficult...Why do you want to weave me/Witchy and others who haven't posted here in a long while, into your tangled web? Why?</div></div>
    Should I have quoted the posts instead?
    So I have a tangled web? You kyaan explain yuself? Just wanted to understand probably the only thing on this board that used to puzzle me, I couldnt ask you back them because of the poisonous atmosphere.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    If you remember, there was a guy here...Naah call noh-name..who came and gave info on different African religions etc etc..and i respected what he stated, since he was describing HIS RELIGION[s]...it noh matter, ppl should have a right to what they believe...</div></div>
    Good so, but it remains as me see it, assumption packed too.
    Both jedi and Witchyooman not on the board so no harm done, IMO. If you call moderator fe ban me because me ask she few questions yu na expect me fe remember that? Come on

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    If I may make the deduction, you are saying that &quot;Obeah&quot; is a religion...if that is the case, then *I* will have to say that that is how YOU conceptualize it...and *I* don't...</div></div>
    This is what I find ridiculous and I said before that I do not see Obeah as a religion. Obeah is everything and nothing. And the African with his RELIGION??????
    ..and agen you are very ambiguous in your words, and talk in parables, like

Science is science.
    what are you talking about?
    </div></div>
    just wa me say.

Why would make you think that the knowledge of a person prescribing which bush to use would be inferior to someone practicing modern medicine or psychology?

dem say if yu never mash frog you will never know wa inside a e.

all I can say good fi him.. im a learn obeah.. nat fiya shat.. if im wasnt ah duh dat im would probabley be a shootist( Isnant that what succesful sports men from tjhe gettho say when interveiwed ???) So why not apply it to obeah
    What nonsense! How can you have a revolution without shooting people ? Lenin 26th October 1917...
    If Christians go to heaven, I do not want to go to Heaven: Hatuey. 2/02/1512

for true, once you can learn things on your own, you can learn anything, why not Obeah?