Boardite Group" /> Boardite Group RSS Feed" href="http://www.jamaicans.com/forums/external.php?type=RSS2" /> Boardite Group - Best of Jamaicans.com - RSS Feed" href="http://www.jamaicans.com/forums/external.php?type=RSS2&forumids=37" /> ok since we confessing.... - Page 11
  • Login:
- Powered by vBulletin" />

Welcome to the Community Forum. For boardites on facebook join our Boardite Group.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Re: ok since we confessing....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RichD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MGee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    not surprised. but it's true. i've even had experience of that here in Canada, where to communicate the full extent of a situation, i've had to resort to patwa. </div></div> speaking to french canadians? </div></div>
    no, although dem and the newfoundlanders do the drop-aitch, add-aitch bizness like jamaicans.

no, i was speaking to a family member.
    <span style="font-style: italic">All Glory to The Hypnotoad!</span>

love to hear a newfie ... them sure give jokes

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Twiny</div><div class="ubbcode-body">love to hear a newfie ... them sure give jokes </div></div> yes an when dem drunk yu naw goh understand a single word dem seh

mi love tell dem seh dem come from Nova Scotia

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MGee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">simple. is so ppl can understand dem. standard english fi nuff ppl is not dem first language. patwa is more than just broken english. and mi no really getting this notion of patwa &quot;at its most basic&quot;. to mi that would probly be english with a jamaican accent, not patwa.

see rich, i believe u don't speak patwa. i think red said the same thing.
    </div></div>Remember Patois is not new and concurrent with Jamaicans Patois the English Language was undergoing serious changes as well. Most of the Euro-Peoples that African Slaves would have dealt with spoke little or no Queen’s English.
    That is the reason for the Queens English because there were so many varied examples of English been used all over the BE.

My argument is that the African and other influences modified the base, which was English, just as the Celtic and Germanic Languages modified same.
    It is for that reason the fourteen Parishes in Jamaica have a different take on Patois, it all depended on what modifiers were more prevalent.

<span style="font-weight: bold">0ok</span>

<span style="font-style: italic">&quot;What good fortune for those in power that people do not think&quot;</span>
    - <span style="font-weight: bold">Adolf Hitler</span>, as quoted by Joachim Fest.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RichD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i have to confess that even doah mi bawn and grow a Jamaica (left Jamica when i was 26) i cant talk patwa ( i have a Jamaican accent but don't speak patwa) </div></div>
    i have to confess that even doah mi bawn and london mi grow a jamacia i can talk patwa ( i have a Jamaican accent and I speak patwa, yanky &amp; cockney fluently)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: More4us</div><div class="ubbcode-body">[quote=RichD]
    i have to confess that even doah mi bawn and london mi grow a jamacia i can talk patwa ( i have a Jamaican accent and I speak patwa, yanky &amp; cockney fluently) </div></div>

Well yu good,...I can talk patois,although I very rarely do,and only when I go to jamaica,.....no one I know communicate in patois here in the Uk.

bigger badder and browner !

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: neutral</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: More4us</div><div class="ubbcode-body">[quote=RichD]
    i have to confess that even doah mi bawn and london mi grow a jamacia i can talk patwa ( i have a Jamaican accent and I speak patwa, yanky &amp; cockney fluently) </div></div>

Well yu good,...I can talk patois,although I very rarely do,and only when I go to jamaica,.....no one I know communicate in patois here in the Uk.

</div></div>LOL not surprising where yuh live. I live in London so I flex wid all sorts chinese, asians, whites and 'blacks' and I speak the raw Jamaican patwa to all a dem. If dem nuh ovastand mi den a fi dem biznez dat. Now I got dem all ATTEMPTING to speak what they think is patwa lol.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: More4us</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>LOL not surprising where yuh live. I live in London so I flex wid all sorts chinese, asians, whites and 'blacks' and I speak the raw Jamaican patwa to all a dem. If dem nuh ovastand mi den a fi dem biznez dat. Dem still crowd up a my gates sed speed and now I got dem all ATTEMPTING to speak what they think is patwa lol. [/quote]

Dont get me wrong, in my neck of the woods there are numerous nationalities that I interact with on a daily basis,but I dont talk patois to anyone,.....when I open my mouth whatever comes naturally to communicate then that is how I communicate,...and my jamaicaness very rarely comes into the equation.

bigger badder and browner !

My body may be stuck here.... but my heart is in Jamaica.

I remember the day you and SeanPaulGyal did ketchuo dung a deark....man oh man..Up until then, I had NO idea how much you had mastered patois.... It was a classic. Too bad it wasn't saved for the archives.

Administrator

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MGee</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: evanovitch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

an the basic pawt is as i have opined....original African, french, chinese wateva, incorporated wid di english encountered....
    </div></div>
    the english is grafted onto an african semantic structure. semantic structure is one of the key criteria for language.
    </div></div>

Was that to get your point across or because they did not understand what you said in proper english?
    7/5th of all people do not understand fractions.