Boardite Group" /> Boardite Group RSS Feed" href="http://www.jamaicans.com/forums/external.php?type=RSS2" /> Boardite Group - Faith, Reason & Philosophy - RSS Feed" href="http://www.jamaicans.com/forums/external.php?type=RSS2&forumids=23" /> Religious Beliefs & Practices on the Continent of Africa
  • Login:
- Powered by vBulletin" />

Welcome to the Community Forum. For boardites on facebook join our Boardite Group.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Religious Beliefs & Practices on the Continent of Africa

Anybody know anything about this area?
    Show me your papers.

Re: Religious Beliefs & Practices on the Continent of Africa

well religion started in africa;
    so take it from there...
    it runs the full spectrum

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BlackStar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anybody know anything about this area? </div></div>

Not much. But should be an interesting study. (hint hint)

From what I recall though, Monotheism was not new to Africa, (as some may have thought when Christianity was introduced to that continent), even though polytheism was a common practice.
    I am thinking...do you smell smoke?

FKA-DC

I've learned a bit about Egyptian and various proto beliefs adopted throughout their spheres of influence, and some bits about Zulu...but it's a subject I would like to really get into.
    a noble stroke he lifted high that hung not but swift with tempest fell On Satan's proud crest- no sight nor swift thought, less could his shield such ruin intercept; 10 paces huge he back recoil'd...

I found this information fascinating:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <span style="font-style: italic">A Religious Cosmology:

While there are local variations, we can identify common elements that define African cosmology. People tell countless stories and myths to explain how the world began. First and foremost, this is a created universe and God is the supreme Creator. It is a religious universe, with its beginning in and through God. It is governed and filled by God, and there is no end to it.

Of central importance is the creation and sustenance of life, with human life being most prominent. God is the Source and Sustainer of life. The manifestations of life are interrelated. Even where there is no evident biological life, people tend to personify the objects, forces and phenomena of nature to grant them mystical life.

African religiosity acknowledges the reality of God but does not define God. If anything, it confesses that God is unknowable. The Maasai (Kenya and Tanzania) name for God, Engai means (among others) &quot;the Unseen One, the Unknown One&quot;. Likewise, among the Tenda (Guinea), God is called Hounounga which means: &quot;the Unknown&quot;. People affirm that God is invisible, which is another way of asserting that they do not know God in any would-be physical form. Subsequently, nowhere in Africa do we find physical images or representations of God, the Creator of the universe. This is remarkable. </span> </div></div>

Source
    Show me your papers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BlackStar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anybody know anything about this area? </div></div>

If you do a google on Dr. Ben you might come up with a vast amount of information on the topic.
    <span style="font-style: italic">If it must choose who is to be crucified, the crowd will always save Barabbas</span>..John Cocteau.

<span style="font-weight: bold">all the lonely people, where do they all come from?</span>

<span style="font-style: italic">IGNORE A TROLL, di TROLL LOSES</span>

i bought and read the first edition of this book many years ago:

African Religions and Philosophy, by John S. Mbiti

What I chiefly recall is that Africans believe in one God, but also accept that there are lesser gods that provide a channel to the one God, in the manner of Catholic saints. I remember really liking the book.

Read Google books excerpts from African Religions and Philosophy.
    <span style="font-style: italic">All Glory to The Hypnotoad!</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MGee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">iWhat I chiefly recall is that Africans believe in one God, </div></div>

i don't think a whole continent with hundreds of millions perhaps over a billion people can be generalized in this way

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Silent_River</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BlackStar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anybody know anything about this area? </div></div>

Not much. But should be an interesting study. (hint hint)

From what I recall though, Monotheism was not new to Africa, (as some may have thought when Christianity was introduced to that continent), even though polytheism was a common practice. </div></div>

especially when christianity is in many cases a replica of older egyptian (indegenous african) religions...like the trinity concept;

some mistake it for 'polytheism' but it really is not

so jy, one breath u saying belief in one god cant be generalized to billions of africans, but in the next breath u saying that monotheism was a long time thing in africa, and often mistaken for polytheism? no the same thing?

ETA: same thing meaning &quot;monotheism&quot; is the same as &quot;belief in one god&quot;
    <span style="font-style: italic">All Glory to The Hypnotoad!</span>