Boardite Group" /> Boardite Group RSS Feed" href="http://www.jamaicans.com/forums/external.php?type=RSS2" /> Boardite Group - Non-Jamaica Trip Reports & Photography - RSS Feed" href="http://www.jamaicans.com/forums/external.php?type=RSS2&forumids=50" /> red tide
  • Login:
- Powered by vBulletin" />

Welcome to the Community Forum. For boardites on facebook join our Boardite Group.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: red tide

red tide

"Red Tide" is a common name for a phenomenon known as an algal bloom, an event in which estuarine, marine, or fresh water algae accumulate rapidly in the water column, or "bloom". These algae, more specifically phytoplankton, are microscopic, single-celled protists, plant-like organisms that can form dense, visible patches near the water's surface. Certain species of phytoplankton contain photosynthetic pigments that vary in color from green to brown to red, and when the algae are present in high concentrations, the water appears to be discolored or murky, varying in color from white to almost black, normally being red or brown. Not all algal blooms are dense enough to cause water discoloration, and not all discolored waters associated with algal blooms are red. Additionally, red tides are not typically associated with tidal movement of water, hence the preference among scientists to use the term algal bloom.

The most conspicuous effects of red tides are the associated wildlife mortalities among marine and coastal species of fish, birds, marine mammals and other organisms. In the case of Florida red tides, these mortalities are caused by exposure to a potent neurotoxin produced naturally by Karenia brevis, called brevetoxin.

Re: red tide

dogs follow me every where

this is Bernie Lou Feinstein [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/blushing2.gif[/img]

the best dog in the world

born feral

highly intelligent

of course i went to see "my husband"

he had death in his family

i'm babysitting bernie at the beach this weekend - i know you want to know wandabe . . .

i will probably break something, burn something, or flood the place [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif[/img]

wow

too much beach erosion

and the ocean white with foam

OHhhhhh, pretty! That last pic is the bomb and the sunsets are pretty wild! Is that hubby's house?

Got more?

Holly crap, this is beautiful!!!!
    You have a GOOD life there missy [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img]

Gorgeous pics Sevie...

So when are you going to Marry the "husband" Haven't received my wedding invitation. [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/704555_dwl.gif[/img]
    One of these days, I'm going to fly away to Zion. Fly away home. - RNM