Boardite Group" /> Boardite Group RSS Feed" href="http://www.jamaicans.com/forums/external.php?type=RSS2" /> Boardite Group - Style, Fashion, Health, Diet & Fitness - RSS Feed" href="http://www.jamaicans.com/forums/external.php?type=RSS2&forumids=46" /> Tuna
  • Login:
- Powered by vBulletin" />

Welcome to the Community Forum. For boardites on facebook join our Boardite Group.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tuna

Tuna

I am not sure which forum this fits; but I am interested in discussions on natural or herbal healing ; in particular Jamaican herbs and plants, and how they are prepared and used. What are the use of the plant tuna; how do you fix it?
    When God measures us, He puts the tape around the heart instead of the head.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Makafat View Post
    I am not sure which forum this fits; but I am interested in discussions on natural or herbal healing ; in particular Jamaican herbs and plants, and how they are prepared and used. What are the use of the plant tuna; how do you fix it?
    Belongs in health diet & fitness and will transfer it for you
    If you don't fight for what you deserve, you deserve what you get.
    We are > Fossil Fuels --- Bill McKibben 350.org

Tuna

Thank you

if it is the same plant I know....the cactus...

Then it is good as a shampoo..From age of 5 till I was 21 I used it as such....., it is good as a coolant for burns but I would not recommend do that as I would recommend cooling the wound under runnig water.., u take out the macaka dem peel one side and use it as a bandage over a wound....I also believe some claim suspended in water it has benefits as a drink. kill worms ....cant remember if it was a laxative or not it has been too many decades....
    What nonsense! How can you have a revolution without shooting people ? Lenin 26th October 1917...
    If Christians go to heaven, I do not want to go to Heaven: Hatuey. 2/02/1512

Tuna

Thanks Walla. Do you know of any plants that are anti-inflammatory for joint problems?

Aloe juice, mi hear. Yuh drink it.

Tuna

Peasie, I will give the aloe a try; what is the best way to extract the juice?

Aloe vera

What's It Made Of?
    Although aloe is 99 percent water, aloe gel also contains substances known as glycoproteins and polysaccharides. Glycoproteins speed the healing process by stopping pain and inflammation, while polysaccharides stimulate skin growth and repair. These substances may also stimulate the immune system.

Available Forms

You can get aloe by simply breaking off leaves of the plant (which can be grown as a houseplant), but it is also available commercially in ointments, creams, and lotions. Aloe gel is often included in cosmetic and over-the-counter skin care products as well. You can purchase aloe in the form of capsules, tablets, juice, gel, ointment, cream, and lotion.

How to Take It

Pediatric
    Pure aloe gel may be applied to the surface of the skin for minor skin irritations. Children should never take oral aloe preparations.
    Adult
    Slit the leaf of an aloe plant lengthwise and remove the gel from the inside, or use a commercial preparation. Carefully clean affected area, and then apply aloe gel liberally to the skin. Do not apply to open wounds.

Precautions

The use of herbs is a time-honored approach to strengthening the body and treating disease. Herbs, however, can trigger side effects and can interact with other herbs, supplements, or medications. For these reasons, you should take herbs with care, under the supervision of a health care provider.
    Aloe gel is considered safe when applied to the surface of the skin, but should not be applied to open or deep wounds. In rare cases, it may cause an allergic reaction, mainly a skin rash. If you develop a rash, stop using the gel.

Taking aloe latex orally may cause severe intestinal cramps or diarrhea and is not recommended. Pregnant women should never take aloe latex because it may cause uterine contractions and trigger miscarriage. Nursing mothers should not take aloe latex either because the effects and safety for infants and children are not known.

Source:Aloe | University of Maryland Medical Center

Quote Originally Posted by Makafat View Post

Tuna - was used by my grand mother as a shampoo and hair conditioner. You scrape off the macca and peel it - it becomes slippery (slimy) you then used it to wash and/or condition your hair. It makes your hair (african hair) manageable and comb right through - just like expensive conditioners.

See-Me-Contract: This plant smells bad at least I thought so when I was a child. Given as a tea right after taking the green worm pill. It cleans you out. There was a plant at the steps to grannie's back door - if you brush against eh it stink to high heaven.

Seven-Scent: Crush leaves in bath and bathe children - for measles or chicken pox.

Sour sop bush - boil as tea for high blood pressure

Coconut water - for high blood pressure - keep refrigerated and drink a big glass or two every day.

Castor oil - taken as wash out - drink a table spoon or 2 early in the morning. Have soup or broth that entire day

(Funny cigarette Bush) - use it as tea for ashtma and respiratory illness

Spanish needle - makes tea for cold

Jack-In-the Bush - tea - good for cold

Lemon Grass Bush - makes tea - good for cold and fever

Pennyroyal - makes tea - good for cleaning out women after giving birth - do not take if pregnant
    Last edited by St_Bess; 08-05-2013 at 04:38 PM.
    Never regret getting old as it a privilege denied to many - Anonymous

Tuna

Peasie, are you saying that I should rub the aloe on the affected area; or to drink it? St._Bess thanks for the information on coconut water and see me contract.