Boardite Group" /> Boardite Group RSS Feed" href="http://www.jamaicans.com/forums/external.php?type=RSS2" /> Boardite Group - Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) - RSS Feed" href="http://www.jamaicans.com/forums/external.php?type=RSS2&forumids=38" /> Post Questions to US Immigration Attorney Nadine Brown
  • Login:
- Powered by vBulletin" />

Welcome to the Community Forum. For boardites on facebook join our Boardite Group.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Dishwasher

Post Questions to US Immigration Attorney Nadine Brown

A warm welcome to US Immigration Attorney Nadine A. Brown. Please post your US Immigration questions here. Ms Brown will be responding between 11- 4 PM tomorrow, October 17th 2006.

You can visit her website: www.nadinebrownpa.com
    Out of Many One People Online
    http://www.jamaicans.com

Re: Post Questions to US Immigration Attorney Nadine Brown

Welcome to Jamaicans.com Ms. Brown. What is your advise for a Canadian citizen looking to work in the US on a long term basis? Is it advisable to obtain a job offer first or should the person apply for a work permit first?

Thank you in advance for your response.
    I have been driven many times to my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had absolutely no other place to go. -- Abraham Lincoln

Hello,
    Your question was about Canadian citizens coming to the US for permanent work...A Canadian has a unique opportunity to obtain a TN visa based on the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA). You can obtain this visa at any US Embassy in Canada or at a border check point provided that you have copies of your resume and diplomas with a letter from a prospective employer detailing job functions and duties. This TN visa is for professionals primarily and are issued in one year increments.

Hello Ms Brown,

My sister lost her permanent resident card, when she goes to the INS office, will she be able at the same time file for her citizenship or do she have to wait until she receive the replacement card?

Hi Simmi27,

If your sister lost her permanent resident card, she can apply for a replacement online or by mail. The process can take up to 6 months. If she is eligible for naturalization then she can apply for naturalization, by mail and in the meantime wait for the renewal of her Green Card. OR if she wants proof she is a resident while waiting for the Green Card, or while applying for naturalization she can get a temporary stamp in her passport provided she has a copy of the receipt for the application she filed.

So to answer your question, she can apply for naturalization whenever she is eligible provided that she has proof she is a resident and meets all the other requirements of naturalization.

Welcome Ms Brown, further to Compry's question, I am in the process of purchasing property in Florida. Will it be easier for me to obtain my working permit?
    If you feel a little useless, offended or depressed. Always remember that <span style="font-weight: bold">YOU</span> were once the fastest &amp; most victorious little sperm out of millions!

Administrator

Welcome Ms Brown to Jamaicans.com [img]/forums/images/graemlins/bannana_purple.gif[/img]

What are the 'hot' jobs lately for people who are entering under H1 visas?
    If you don't fight for what you deserve, you deserve what you get.
    We are > Fossil Fuels --- Bill McKibben 350.org

Kia,

Hot jobs for H1 Visas are in the computer industry, decision information systems, nursing, physical therapy, and any technical profession. Really H1 visas are for professionals with at least a bachelors degree so almost any area of industry can apply IF you have a skill in high demand and that is found by doing a job search and checking the colleges and universities for cutting edge career fields.

Ivoree,

Your question is whether purchasing property in Florida will facilitate getting a work permit. Well, you can purchase property in Florida or anywhere for that matter as an investor, but it will not get you a work permit. A work permit also called an Employment Authorization Document is a benefit of already being in the process of applying for residency. Residency is gained either through sponsorship by an employer or immediate relative family member. Unfortunately, buying property doesn't give you eligibility for getting documents, only a nice place to visit on holiday.

[ QUOTE ]
    Ivoree,

Your question is whether purchasing property in Florida will facilitate getting a work permit. Well, you can purchase property in Florida or anywhere for that matter as an investor, but it will not get you a work permit. A work permit also called an Employment Authorization Document is a benefit of already being in the process of applying for residency. Residency is gained either through sponsorship by an employer or immediate relative family member. Unfortunately, buying property doesn't give you eligibility for getting documents, only a nice place to visit on holiday.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is what I am aiming for, residency. An Immigration Lawyer I am currently with has advised me my family cannot do the sponsorship. But mentioned if I had $60,000 USD to invest it would help me. OR if I was working in certain professions.

I will have a nice lot to pitch my tent on in the meantime until I start the actual building of a home. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/70384-praying.gif[/img] Just have to make sure it is a lizzard proof tent! [img]/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Thanks for the insight!
    If you feel a little useless, offended or depressed. Always remember that <span style="font-weight: bold">YOU</span> were once the fastest &amp; most victorious little sperm out of millions!