Boardite Group" /> Boardite Group RSS Feed" href="http://www.jamaicans.com/forums/external.php?type=RSS2" /> Boardite Group - Best of Jamaicans.com - RSS Feed" href="http://www.jamaicans.com/forums/external.php?type=RSS2&forumids=37" /> March Winds - Page 3
  • Login:
- Powered by vBulletin" />

Welcome to the Community Forum. For boardites on facebook join our Boardite Group.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: March Winds

Re: March Winds

Baller Barosa, what position did you like? Centre back, left back, Centre half, Forward?
    What school?
    Tony Keyes- KC.
    Dennis Ziadie-STGC
    The Hills- STGC
    McKenzies
    Did you know any of the above?

I am more of a fan(atic) than a player, though I held my own at right back in inter-form competitions at STGC.
    Let freedom and peace abide, the sun shine, and your love beside me with you everytime.

What happen to Jamaica's wellknown footballer Alan "Skill" Cole?

As a teenager, mi used to go ga-ga for the guys dressed in their football gears and playing around on the football field! Those little shorts and those muscular legs, when they start to dribble the ball... whew, mek mi stop now ... [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Q, Although I went to Technical, I rooted for KC just up the road from us. I was like you played for my house team at RB even played for my cadet team in Goal. Never was good enough for the Tech team. Can't remember the names of the top school players in my time. Belnavis, Figueroa, Mando Gibson, Jerome Walters all KC boys come to mind.
    I remember Davis in Goal for JC. (after my time)

The real old timers when I was a youth were JK Holt, Lester Alcock(known as fairy boots)Larry Wynter, Murphy in Goal, Lascelles Dunkley, Carl Lewin. These players were some of those in the senior league level and the national as well. I was also a fan of Facey Cup football the year Technical won it. I miss Jamaican Football. I use to have so much fun at games, win lose or draw.

Sandi, Skill was a big boy when I was just a likkle youth. He was expelled from school in Kingston and made it to Vere Tech where he played.
    Correct me if I am wrong.

barosa, you`re coming from way back, man.
    Ever heard of Errol Lloyd from Munroe?
    Let freedom and peace abide, the sun shine, and your love beside me with you everytime.

barosa, you`re coming from way back, man.
    Ever heard of Errol Lloyd from Munroe?

Yes Q, I am comming from way back when life was simple, No TV, No Drive Inn movie, No Stadium! just radio, maybe redifusion, so sports was one of the few attractions for us boys.

I remembered Lindy Delapenna and Gillie Herron. Those two played in the British FA leagues. Can't say I've heard of Errol Lloyd, but I always look forward to the clashes between Munro and Cornwall College for DaCosta cup championship.

Lindy yes, never heard of Herron.
    Errol Lloyd was once described as standing out as a Rolls Royce in a used car lot in a magazine from the early 60`s.

Reminds me barosa your early Jamaican days, when I had the extreme privlige of going back to the country{hills of St. Ann} and living with oil lamp, coir mattress and tank water from out in the back yard, wood stove and Anancy and duppy stories so well told by our beloved Aunt Anna.
    It did me well and to this day I appreciate the littlest of good things.

Q, It seems that Errol Lloyd was unfortunate not to have had me around as one of his fans, judging from your account of him. It was around that time I ventured out of Jamaica and lost touch with the delights of football (Jamaican style).

There was something special about country life in those times with the lack of amenities we all took for granted in Kingston. I can remember the brief visits to St Thomas and sometimes to Portland where I experienced similar circumstances of which you speak. I was always afraid when night come down. Thanks to progress, the country is no longer serene, quiet and peaceful.

Q, Would you remember when night football was first played in Kingston? and do you remember when a Russian team played our national team in Jamaica?

Night football, where? Sabina Park?
    I`m afraid I don`t recollect that part of our history, barosa.
    But I do rememeber the National Stadium and the lights.
    btw. The Stadium changed out the lights to more modern and brighter ones since the new millenium, like day.

Yes Q, ...You guessed right! I was there for the first game in Jamaica ever, under lights. It was quite a thing at the time. I went with a couple of friends sat in western area among some of the sport notables of the period. Its so long ago I cant remember any of the two senior league teams that played. The Russian team I mentioned, was from a Soviet ship that was visiting Jamaica at the time. It was a hastily arranged match under lights, and again, yours truly was there! The results wont disappoint you. Afterall, it was only a ship's team. I think it was something like 2or3:1 Jamaica. The period was in the early '60's.