Boardite Group" /> Boardite Group RSS Feed" href="http://www.jamaicans.com/forums/external.php?type=RSS2" /> Boardite Group - Jamaican News and Discussions Archive - RSS Feed" href="http://www.jamaicans.com/forums/external.php?type=RSS2&forumids=44" /> Jamaica - Hurricane Dean Post - Page 11
  • Login:
- Powered by vBulletin" />

Welcome to the Community Forum. For boardites on facebook join our Boardite Group.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 11 of 35 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Re: Gleaner editorial

Dishwasher

Jamaica - Hurricane Dean Post

OFFICE OF DISASTER PREPAREDNESS AND EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT
    TO BE USED WITH EMERGENCY TONE

NEWS RELEASE #7

ISSUED ON: Sunday, August 19, 2007 at 1:00 a.m.

HURRICANE WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FOR JAMAICA

MEDIA HOUSES ARE BEING ASKED TO REPEAT THE PRECAUTIONARY MEASURES OUTLINED DURING PROGRAMMES

The Office of Disaster Preparedness and Emergency Management (ODPEM) has been advised by the Meteorological Service of Jamaica that a Hurricane Warning remains in effect for Jamaica as Hurricane Dean continues to approach Jamaica.

A Hurricane Warning means that conditions such as winds, rain and storm surges are likely to affect the island within 24 hours.

The ODPEM is advising the public to take the following precautions:

1. Stay tuned to the news and weather reports and listen out for emergency instructions, if any should be given.
    2. Remain calm. Do not panic. Your ability to act logically is important during stressful events like a hurricane.
    3. Wrap important documents such as passports, deeds and titles, birth certificates, ID cards, insurance policies in plastic and take them with you.
    4. Ensure that adequate water is stored for domestic purposes.
    5. Move furniture away from windows.
    6. Check your arrangements for household pets. If you have made arrangements for them to be kept elsewhere, take them there now. If they are staying with you, make sure they have adequate food and water.
    7. If your roof should come off and if the house or building shows signs of breaking up get in the closet or the bathtub and pull the mattress over your body for protection.
    8. If you are away from home remain where you are until the storm has passed. Many people lose their lives trying to get from place to place during a hurricane.
    9. There will be a brief period of calm weather. This is called the eye of the hurricane. It usually lasts for only a short while – from a few minutes to half and hour or more – and the winds return from the opposite direction. Please do not be fooled into thinking that the storm is over. Remain inside.

In the aftermath of Hurricane Dean, the Salvation Army and Seventh Day Adventist (SDA) Churches will be established as Registration Centres for affected persons and distribution centres for relief items.

The progress of Hurricane Dean will continue to be closely monitored by the Meteorological Service of Jamaica and the Office of Disaster Preparedness and Emergency Management (ODPEM) and updates will be released to the public as soon as new information has been gathered.
    Out of Many One People Online
    http://www.jamaicans.com

Dishwasher

Re: Jamaica - Hurricane Dean Post

NEWS RELEASE #8

ISSUED ON: Sunday, August 19, 2007 at 6:15 a.m.
    ASSISTED EVACUATION CONTINUES THIS MORNING

The Office of Disaster Preparedness and Emergency Management (ODPEM) is advising that the Jamaica Urban Transport Corporation (JUTC) will resume transportation of evacuees to the relevant emergency shelters this morning. Pick up begins at 6:30 until 7:30 a.m. at the designated assembly points outlined below.

Portmore:
    1. Waterford
    2. Caymans Gardens
    3. Portsmouth
    4. Armada Courts
    5. Port Henderson Road
    6. Passage Fort
    7. Independence City
    8. West Chester
    9. Edge Water
    10. Garvey Mead
    11. Bridgeview
    12. West Mead
    13. West Port
    14. South Borough

Assembly points:

1. West Port Community Centre
    2. West Chester Community Centre
    3. Edge Water Community Centre
    4. South Borough Community Centre
    5. Bayside New Testament Church of God
    6. SDC Sports Complex
    7. Braeton All Age School
    8. Greater Portmore Primary

Bull Bay, St. Andrew:
    1. Taylor Lands
    2. 9 Mile Square

Assembly point: St. Benedicts Primary School and Church

Nightingale Grove:
    Assembly point: Bushy Park Baptist Church

Seaforth, St. Thomas:
    Communities along the Johnson River:

1. Riverside Drive
    2. Blacksmith Lane
    3. Moodie Lane
    4. Packa Lane
    5. York (ShantyTown)
    6. Morant Area.

Assembly points:

1. Seaforth High
    2. Seaforth Primary

Bath, St. Thomas:
    All low-lying areas of Bath are being asked to evacuate to the Bath Primary and Junior High.

Port Royal:
    Residents will be evacuated to the National Arena.

Shelter Managers are being asked to open ALL shelters in the evacuation zones and persons are advised to take along basic items such as bedding, flashlight, extra clothing, medication, food, water, infant necessities (if required) and a first-aid kit.

The progress of Hurricane Dean will continue to be closely monitored by the Meteorological Service of Jamaica and the Office of Disaster Preparedness and Emergency Management (ODPEM) and updates will be released to the public as soon as new information has been gathered.

Re: Gleaner editorial

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DiamondDave</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ReggaeLuver</div><div class="ubbcode-body">do any of you know if there will be radio broadcast free online like they did for Ivan? I tried IrieFM but they are not free (as of now)

[img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif[/img] </div></div>

Power 106 is free... </div></div>

Thanks Dave [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/70459-hugs.gif[/img]
    We don't have education we have inspiration, if I was educated I'd be a damn fool. -RNM-

Dishwasher

NEWS RELEASE #9

ISSUED ON: Sunday, August 19, 2007 at 8:30 a.m.
    SHELTERS CURRENTLY OPEN ACROSS JAMAICA

The Office of Disaster Preparedness and Emergency Management (ODPEM) is advising that the following shelters are currently open across the island:

Kingston & St. Andrew:

1. National Arena
    2. Pembroke Hall High School
    3. Friendship Brook
    4. Edith Dalton James High School

Manchester:

5. Mile Gully Primary

St. Thomas:

6. Spring Garden All Age
    7. Seaforth High School
    8. Yallahs Baptist Church
    9. Morant Bay Primary
    10. Grants Pen Primary
    11. Seaforth Primary

St. Catherine:

12. Old Harbour Primary School
    13. G.C. Foster College

Trelawny:

14. Holland High School
    15. Hague Primary School
    16. Salt Marsh All-Age

St. Ann:

17. Marcus Garvey Technical High School

Hanover

18. Lucea Catholic Church
    19. Askenish All-Age
    20. Hills Brook

Updates on other activated shelters will be sent out as soon as the ODPEM’s National Emergency Operations Centre (NEOC) receives them.

CNN bigup Jamaicans.com dis mawning for keeping J'Cans everywhere informed about DEAN.... [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/70409-waytogo.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/70409-waytogo.gif[/img]
    I am too Blessed to be stressed

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">CNN bigup Jamaicans.com dis mawning for keeping J'Cans everywhere informed about DEAN.... </div></div> [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/70409-waytogo.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/70409-waytogo.gif[/img]

That is great! I don't know what I would be doing if I couldn't be glued to this site right now!

Big up X-man! [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/notworthy.gif[/img]

Wow...that's wonderful. There are 449 viewing feedback right now.
    I have been driven many times to my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had absolutely no other place to go. -- Abraham Lincoln

Administrator

yep [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/notworthy.gif[/img]

I was reading through where we could donate things. After the hurricane, I am sure there will be a need for building materials, and wondered if there are agencies that we are donating to, that will be able to arrange for building materials to go into the island, so as to help alleviate the shortage afterwards and its associated pr[img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/70379-moneyeyes.gif[/img]ce increase.
    If you don't fight for what you deserve, you deserve what you get.
    We are > Fossil Fuels --- Bill McKibben 350.org

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Style Diva</div><div class="ubbcode-body">CNN bigup Jamaicans.com dis mawning for keeping J'Cans everywhere informed about DEAN.... [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/70409-waytogo.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/70409-waytogo.gif[/img] </div></div>

I feel so proud...... [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/70409-waytogo.gif[/img]
    “I am good, but not an angel. I do sin, but I am not the devil. I am just a small girl in a big world trying to find someone to love.”