Boardite Group" /> Boardite Group RSS Feed" href="http://www.jamaicans.com/forums/external.php?type=RSS2" /> Boardite Group - Jamaican News and Discussions Archive - RSS Feed" href="http://www.jamaicans.com/forums/external.php?type=RSS2&forumids=44" /> Jamaica - Hurricane Dean Post - Page 13
  • Login:
- Powered by vBulletin" />

Welcome to the Community Forum. For boardites on facebook join our Boardite Group.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 13 of 35 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Re: Jamaica - Hurricane Dean Post

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dr.Dudd</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mountaingal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">according to the satellite pic the eye of the storm already pass jamaica...is just the outer winds affecting it...

feeling a lickle outta touch [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/70394-bawlout.gif[/img]
    </div></div>
    I wonder what you looking at? </div></div>
    see my post above, doc. i'm used to seeing progression from left to right.
    <span style="font-style: italic">All Glory to The Hypnotoad!</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pepper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nationwide News also has a free web stream.

http://www.nationwidenewsnetwork.com/ </div></div>Thanks for this link, Pepper. Good coverage for those far away and with no TV.

Port Royal residents said they are not leaving their homes and the south coast is going to be hit the hardest. Wat a ting.
    Show me your papers.

12 noon picture
    u so fake, even China denied mekking u

Administrator

Blackstar, yuh welcome.

Me deh yah a listen. One man is calling in, reporting that people are walking up and down in Portmore. [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif[/img]

I wish people would understand that every storm is different. I spoke with my sister. She is the only one in her area that boarded up. (St James, NE of Mobay.) Normally by the time storms move across the mountains, they don't get much damage in the Mobay Area. But this storm's eye is just south of the island, it could stay south, and turn when it hits the west end. We just never know. Always best to be over prepared. But at least I am thankful she is prepared.
    7/5th of all people do not understand fractions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pepper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Me deh yah a listen. One man is calling in, reporting that people are walking up and down in Portmore. [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif[/img] </div></div>
    Yes, and here I am wondering if Portmore is a safe place; isn't it below or at sea level?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pepper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Always best to be over prepared. But at least I am thankful she is prepared.</div></div>
    That's what I keep telling my parents (they're in Broward County). They learned their lesson when Wilma (?) rolled in. Glad your sister has taken precautions and wish your family & friends out there all the best.
    Show me your papers.

If Kingston sees a 20' storm surge... Black River! The water must be rising right now in Kingston?
    Wherever there is a human being, there is an opportunity for a kindness. ~Seneca~

Dishwasher

OFFICE OF DISASTER PREPAREDNESS AND EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT

NEWS RELEASE #10

ISSUED ON: Sunday, August 19, 2007 at 10:30 a.m.
    CORRECTION ABOUT SHELTER IN MANCHESTER

We wish to advise persons served by the Mile Gully Primary School in Manchester that it is no longer being used as a shelter. The alternative facility, the Mile Gully Community Centre, will be opened.

The public is reminded that, under the National Shelter Programme, government-owned schools are designated as shelters.

Updates on other activated shelters will be sent out as soon as the ODPEM’s National Emergency Operations Centre (NEOC) receives them.

A Hurricane Warning remains in effect for Jamaica as weather conditions begin to deteriorate over sections of the country under the influence of Hurricane Dean. The progress of Hurricane Dean will continue to be closely monitored by the Meteorological Service of Jamaica and the Office of Disaster Preparedness and Emergency Management (ODPEM) and updates will be released to the public as soon as new information has been gathered.
    Out of Many One People Online
    http://www.jamaicans.com

Dishwasher

OFFICE OF DISASTER PREPAREDNESS AND EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT

TO BE USED WITH EMERGENCY TONE!

NEWS RELEASE # 11

ISSUED ON: Sunday, August 19, 2007 at 10:30 a.m.

EXPECT SIGNIFICANT STORM SURGES WITH THE PASSAGE OF HURRICANE DEAN

The Office of Disaster Preparedness and Emergency Management (ODPEM) is advising the public to expect significant storm surges with the passage of Hurricane Dean. A storm surge is an abnormal rise in the water level along the coast or shoreline and can be the most dangerous part of a hurricane. The Met Office predicts that as Hurricane Dean approaches the island we should expect storm surge flooding of 1.5 – 3 meters (that is 7-9 feet) above normal tide levels, along with large and dangerous battering waves near the centre of Dean (especially over southern coastal areas). All vulnerable communities along the coastline are being asked to evacuate to higher ground and emergency shelters.

The public is advised that the Roselle main road in St. Thomas is currently inundated with water from storm serge activity in the area. Persons are therefore asked NOT to use the Roselle main road.

If you are at risk from a storm surge:
    1. Wrap important personal items, family documents and electrical appliances in plastic bags and store away from the reach of flood waters.

2. Move your refrigerator, stove and furniture to a higher floor, or place them on building blocks and secure to the wall.

3. Shut off electrical power, gas and water supplies in areas prone to flooding.

4. Store all chemicals, fertilizers insecticides and other poisonous substances in properly labeled water-proof containers and keep away from flood water.

Additionally, farmers are reminded to move animals to a safe location away from river banks and areas prone to landslides.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Xavier</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Met Office predicts that as Hurricane Dean approaches the island we should expect storm surge flooding of 1.5 – 3 meters (that is 7-9 feet) above normal tide levels, along with large and dangerous battering waves near the centre of Dean (especially over southern coastal areas). All vulnerable communities along the coastline are being asked to evacuate to higher ground and emergency shelters.

</div></div>
    an you know, some road dunga treasure beach still no recover from the last hurricane. [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif[/img]
    <span style="font-style: italic">All Glory to The Hypnotoad!</span>

Dishwasher

Spoke to a few people in Jamaica. Power was shut down at 10.00 am Jamaican time in Kingston.