Boardite Group" /> Boardite Group RSS Feed" href="http://www.jamaicans.com/forums/external.php?type=RSS2" /> Boardite Group - Books, Music, poetry, Art etc - RSS Feed" href="http://www.jamaicans.com/forums/external.php?type=RSS2&forumids=30" /> What kind of slackness is this mento?
  • Login:
- Powered by vBulletin" />

Welcome to the Community Forum. For boardites on facebook join our Boardite Group.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My body may be stuck here.... but my heart is in Jamaica.

What kind of slackness is this mento?

Young gyal mi come yah fe tek i' by force?

That should be banned. I am totally shocked.

I am the only one who is totally shocked by this level of slackness.

near di USA border a watch out fi Canadians :- D
    So what are yuh thoughts on, "every ooman need ah good buddy"?

Quote Originally Posted by Tropicana View Post
    I am the only one who is totally shocked........
    Last edited by j-kid; 05-08-2014 at 12:26 PM.
    JA.com member #946 for LIFE!

Quote Originally Posted by j-kid View Post
    So what are yuh thoughts on, "every ooman need ah good buddy"?

You know Trops...the FIRST thing which grabbed my undivided attention about the various forms of Jamaican music was the unwavering honesty of many of the lyrics contained there-in. That included the classic Dancehall and Dub. Back in the day what might have been referred to as 'slackness' often included a wink and a joke and a sense of humour. The one thing though which remained constant was the FACT that Jamaican music...beginning with the presentation of Mento which otherwise resembled Calypso, and most definitely through Ska, Rude Bwoy[Rudie], Rock Steady, and Reggae was strictly Jamaican in every sense. Then the dancehall both locally and internationally began to demand more and more 'less'.

Not sure if it was because in trying to somehow find and/or create the next 'artiste' to cross over at a scale resembling Bob Marley's success that the music industry was allowed to 'sell out' in JA? But it did get sold out. Jamaican music was the leader...the trend setter...the unique blend of artistry, honesty and talent indigenous to Jamaican blood. Now? It follows. And it follows a much lesser path. Who allowed THAT to happen? Influence fram farrin? Or was it more the result of local greed?

Now shock value is the mainstay when it comes to the lyrics accompanying 'chunes' trying to compete for attention on the international electronic stages of the 21st century. Honesty is a long lost art which no longer applies. Humour? Move yourself!!! Hits are required to generate hits. It's been building and growing in that direction over these past couple of decades. Decent intentions have been replaced by decadent ones. [and not necessarily because the so-called artist believes them per-se but rather because he and she want to shock their way to quick and significant recognition]

There are still great artists delivering the goods. They just don't have the mechanism to get their works to market anymore. That system has been destroyed by the same people who were willing to record and sell the slack pack at the expense of what we used to appreciate as "M U S I C"!!! and talent. Once 'music' for the eyes replaced music for the ears there was little doubt that the ears were going to be offended. The industry decided that it would work better if they took us all by force and that shock value should far outdistance any artistic ingredients.

The best music in almost every genre has been hidden and relegated. We have no one to blame but ourselves.
    Last edited by Reggae plus; 05-13-2014 at 01:35 PM.
    ROOTS REGGAE and the music it influenced *R U L E S*. Anything else is, at best, 2nd best.

R+ welcome back.

That system has been destroyed by the same people who were willing to record and sell the slack pack at the expense of what we used to appreciate as "M U S I C"!!! and talent. Once 'music' for the eyes replaced music for the ears there was little doubt that the ears were going to be offended. The industry decided that it would work better if they took us all by force and that shock value should far outdistance any artistic ingredients.

The best music in almost every genre has been hidden and relegated. We have no one to blame but ourselves.
    There have to be limits a disgusting song advocating rape should not be permitted in ANY genre. The equally disgusting Not Responsible by CARLTON PATTERSON & LEROY BROWN comes to mind. Great riddim but the lyrics What would ever possess a men to record a song like that...any bets dem ave gyal too.

The sky is the limit. The smog laden, poluted, disgusting sky. If 'they' don't care to protect the air we breathe, the water we drink, the food we eat...or the women in India who are raped as if it is only and always an acceptable matter of course....who is going to bother with legislating 'song' lyrics? Nobody with any bite.

Lenny Bruce opened up pandora's box all those years ago. Freedom of speech is an ideal worth standing up for...except that individuals have chosen to hide behind the concept for short term gain and long term pain. Decency is a dodo bird...an edsel...a dinosaur.

You recall I'm sure when Jamaican radio...particulary the original 2...RJR and then JBC...banned way TOO much music and people demanded that the various sound systems fill the void? So these days banning a 'song' [let's rather call them merely recordings] is almost a worthless exercise. There are ever so many places to hear what likely should never have been recorded. The thing is...these shock-value recordings are not equating into instant wealth or long term successes so why continue?

So very few of us win as a result. It's a world-wide thing. And...it's a sad/bad thing. But it's here and it can only get worse. We should have stopped it back in the mid 80s when video killed the radio star...and music. We almost eradicated 'disco' but the germ lived beyond disco destruction and it dominates so many genres of music now that those who do NOT choose to dance 24/7 are being assaulted on almost every radio station playing music in the so-called 'free' world. The presentation and dominance of mediocrity is so prevalent that there is almost NO escape...unless you program your own daily sound-track. Add in the kind of thing you're questioning here and one almost has to...if they have the time, equipment/devices, and resources.

Why are radio [and music] and TV [and those shows] so devoid of quality? Because the corporations who seemingly own almost all of the stations ultimately want us to PAY for everything we'll see or hear going forward into the almost immediate future. If they could legislate the mandatory wearing of a breathing apparatus we'd all be paying for the air required to fill our lungs. It's almost as if they now allow these recordings to wallow on the surface of their cesspools so that we'll be forced to pay in order to avoid them.

And, as always...the 'artistes' are really just the pawns. It's history repeating itself in the digital age.
    ROOTS REGGAE and the music it influenced *R U L E S*. Anything else is, at best, 2nd best.

A sad, sad state of affairs.

It's just life in 2014 Trops. The good news is that regardless of what kind of MUSIC one likes...It's still being recorded...and by sensationally gifted artists. You just have to take the time to go searching, looking and listening. Gawd NOSE...you'll never find it on regular radio.

Ownership is just too invested on chasing you towards paying cash for what you think you want to hear. [until you discover that even there...on pay radio...the individual channels keep playing the same 'select'/highest testing songs over and over and over and over and over and over and over again....until you're so sick of hearing them that you never want to hear them again]

How did this happen? Non broadcasters run broadcasting companies and the audience just does NOT count. The 'record' companies...or what's left of them...employ too few people with any musical know-how but who make all of the decisions. Artists HAVE to look good. If you don't look good delivering the 'goods'...the actual content and talent don't make an iota of difference.

Man!!! We really became shallow collectively. Like I said in post one...the blame is ours.