Boardite Group" /> Boardite Group RSS Feed" href="http://www.jamaicans.com/forums/external.php?type=RSS2" /> Boardite Group - Jamaica Travel Archive - RSS Feed" href="http://www.jamaicans.com/forums/external.php?type=RSS2&forumids=48" /> Camping - Page 4
  • Login:
- Powered by vBulletin" />

Welcome to the Community Forum. For boardites on facebook join our Boardite Group.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Camping

Re: Camping

hmmm... ok, thanks., and no, i haven't been outsie of the US, im sure its very different from my world (Houston Tx.)....I have read some reports from travelers (white specifically), that have reported of "hostile resentment" towards whites....,roadblocks (entering Negril)(where I was thinking of going), getting robbed or "agressivlly encouraged to donate,. money etc..."..I in no way believe everything that I read or see on TV, but the reality, as you well know im sure is that Jam. is one of the deadliest places on the planet (given current stats...) I also know Jam. is a very loving country,..so I dont want to take anything away from that, I just want to be prepared.....thanks again

my advice book, pack and go

i travel to JA alone - and i'm a woman

it will be a life changing experience

mokko sounds good

alot of us on here like JahB's

inexpensive - right in the midst of negril

you won't be the first person from Houston to visit JA [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif[/img]

I concur with Seveen... yu are an adult (late 20'2) ..just use some common sense ..
    I suggest , since its ur fiirst time leaving the US of A , go to Mokko's and spend time there with him in St Thomas.. yu will have a wonderful time and he will teach yu the ropes for moving around Jamaica..lots of adventure there for you too..

agree with seveen and haki here, if its your first time, you will find having mokko as a guide very useful, he can smell thieves miles away,,, also doing the East Coast will be more relaxing, less hustlers there, and with less tourism than the west coast, vendors will often have great deals and good prices. [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]
    another thing that is different, Jamaican aren't as open as we are Americans (or as me, Canadian), keep your plans with your taxi driver or your guide, don't share information in public, people don't do that in Jamaica, except tourists lol

i remember once saying out loud, "Oh I'd like to go get some T Shirts" and immediately i had someone trying to hustle me to follow him to get some T Shirts (not what i wanted to do, i just wanted to go at the market get some t shirts), Mokko picked up on that and got him away with a few Jamaican curse words hehe... ever since, i keep my errands between me, Marc, Mokko and our driver. People can get curious sometimes you know hehe

but the east coast is all good, the people are nice and it is very very beautiful.

perfect......, , I think Mokko sounds like a good starting point...
    thanks again for all your help...later

keeping reading trip reports

one forum down from this

little bay is nice

treasure beach is nice

rustic, unspoiled, with nuff good food

every one finds their own "folks"

just FLow...........................

there is a trip report from someone that hitch-hiked and camped for their 2 weeks . . . check the reports and discover ja

i think his word of advice was

don't drink

[img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif[/img]

ThisisMystory; sorry if it took me a while to get back at you on Mokko's pricing. i finally spoke with him, just hung up like 5 mins ago... He confirmed that if you want to do camping there, it would be $500 JMD. He's only starting to have a few guests who wants to do camping, so next time we go to Jamaica (later this fall), we will be bringing our smaller tent we no longer use (it's a nice coleman, in a very good condition, we just have a bigger tent now, & only used that one maybe 5x) and give it to Mokko, so he have a tent for his guests who don't bring their own.

He also mentioned that he will prob. also make you some food, Mokko likes cooking very much [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]

http://www.jamaicans.com/forums/ubbt...607000&fpart=1

Hopefully that helps. If you can find someone that you're able to trust to be your guide before you even set foot on JA, I'd highly recommend it. Especially as a solo traveller that's never been out of the states, I can guarantee that you'll appreciate that extra pair of eyes watching your back. At least until you can get your bearings if nothing else.

My own first few days on the island could have gone a lot worse than they did if I hadn't had a jamaican friend to show me around a bit. Sure, he ended up putting a knife to my throat a couple days later but to be honest, I halfway deserved it and it's not like we didn't get past that [censored] in the end. I actually ran into him on my way back to catch my plane and we ended up burying the hatchet while sitting outside the airport having one last recreational break, his little going away present for a wayward student.

Let me leave you with this though--learn patois as much as you can before you ever set foot on jamaica. You don't have to speak it, but if you at least understand it a bit things will be a lot smoother. Hell, just look at my trip report to see how dangerous a little miscommunication can be.

hey GongGirl, sorry to bother you so much and thanks again for all of your useful info. I think I am starting to narrow down my questions, however I guess I dont understand about thread hijacking. I got in trouble for that already so I thought i would try to message you directlly... Do you know where to find cheap airfair? i have found flights from Houston for no cheaper that $400.00ish...also, are there any cheap housing accomidations in Nine Mile? I'm now thinking of staying for only 6 of 7 days....I want to arrive at Montego Bay (I have heard the airport in Kingston can be risky....) and head east to Nine Mile. I want to try to stay there overnight and head to Mokko's place the next day and stay for 5 days or so...do you need alot of money to enjoy yourself at Mokko's?.....thanks again..

You sure you really want to go to Jamaica on your first trip outside the US? Alone?