Boardite Group" /> Boardite Group RSS Feed" href="http://www.jamaicans.com/forums/external.php?type=RSS2" /> Boardite Group - Jamaica Travel Archive - RSS Feed" href="http://www.jamaicans.com/forums/external.php?type=RSS2&forumids=48" /> Manatees ~ - Page 4
  • Login:
- Powered by vBulletin" />

Welcome to the Community Forum. For boardites on facebook join our Boardite Group.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Manatees ~

Re: Manatees ~

hey ladies
    i've been around portland/long bay/long road for nine years now . . . blue heaven . . . folks please pipe in if you've stayed there . . . it's at one end of long bay and would be a bus ride to where all the action is and the most beautiful beach area . . . sometimes what you see in a picture is not what's in real life [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/70374-lipsrsealed.gif[/img] . . .

never stayed at henry's . . .is that the property couple of doors down from free's? . . .

those stairs are a killer [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cry.gif[/img] . . . 48 of them . . . really steep [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek2.gif[/img] . . . couple of drinks and you're going down to the cottage on your butt [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/70394-bawlout.gif[/img] . . .
    better to want than to have . . .

next reach dec. 28, 2011
    april 04, 2012

hahaha i like the drunkin butt slides you're talking about lol, maybe you wanna sleep at the guest house whenever you get drunk [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/dizzy.gif[/img]

Thanks for the input. I would prefer to warned than go there and have problems.

Sorry I haven't been around much lately.

We went in 2002 or so. It is called Canoe Valley or Alligator Hole, and it is east of Gut River - I remember passing Gut on the way back and my daughter was already asleep so we didn't stop.

There is a small one room nature center, really not more than a few posters on the walls and a small display, right by a river. I ant to say it is Alligator Hole river? Not sure, but this road has nothing but thorn bushes (macca, I think they're called), so this is the ONLY structure you pass for quite a ways thus hard to miss. I know Milk River, the spring and hotel, is not too far further east and inland.

There was a guy with a small rowboat who we paid to row us towards the sea on the river. Three manatees live there and they are captive (there is a net across the river mouth). They were brought there years ago injured, I believe, and are fed. The government runs the place, it is not a for-profit thing. In fact I think they are running out of money to feed them...

We paid our boat guy and our driver to get there, there was no other charge that I recall.

We jumped in the river and snorkeled with the manatees, though they never let us get very close to them it was still really cool. The water was cold but very clear. I've learned since that there are crocs in that river too, but we didn't see any.

I have heard form others that you can see them be fed in the evening from land, so you don't have to do the boat, but I am not sure.

It's a good long drive, I think it took about 4 hours from Negril, but to go from TB would be very do-able..stop at Gut River going out, stop at Little Ochi coming back...

I would love to find out if it's possible to take a boat from Alligator Pond to Gut River and then onto the manatees...or even from TB, because that road is ROUGH. The brambley part along the coast is so narrow and winding that we were constantly honking because there was no way to see what was coming, ever, the bushes were so overgrown.

Some links on the manatees there:

http://www.nepa.gov.jm/newscenter/Pr...-reopen-06.htm

http://geoimages.berkeley.edu/worldw...yFlanagan.html

http://www.nrca.org/publications/bro...20brochure.pdf

http://jamaicanmanatee.freeservers.com/pages/natura.htm

http://www.suagm.edu/umet/red/Mig03LAJAM.pdf

...one of these says the center reopened in 2006 so there may be more there than there was when we went.
    Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional.

THANKS Lizzie ... all those links are actually information that came up in Google ...

and - I got some more detailed information via PM ... regarding the area ... and indeed .... the road into the place might be more than we can take on ... me and my 'unrealistic' vision of what can be accomplished in a limited amount of time.

well ...if not this time - maybe another reach - when we can spend more time round Treasure Beach ~ [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/proud_jamaica.gif[/img]

It was an all day trip for us from Negril but it was one of the coolest trips ever, and my first time exploring the south coast.

So it was definitely worth it.
    Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional.

Manatee do swim right by Zion Country this time of year. They like brackish waters where the sea and the fresh water mix. They look like "bobbing coconuts" in the water and March/April is their time to visit.

Free-I has a nice information page about them Manatee In Dutch they are called zeekoe.
    Dianne

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: immersedtraveler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Manatee do swim right by Zion Country this time of year. They like brackish waters where the sea and the fresh water mix. They look like "bobbing coconuts" in the water and March/April is their time to visit.

Free-I has a nice information page about them Manatee In Dutch they are called zeekoe. </div></div>

Good to know, thanks.
    Do they only come in March/ April?

I'm going in July and may check out Zion country (even if I stay at Henry's I hear that we can eat at Zion Country)

no idea really why I have such a facination with them ...

I have read Free-I's page on them as well ... thanks for bringing that up again as well ~

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Laurel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">no idea really why I have such a facination with them ...

I have read Free-I's page on them as well ... thanks for bringing that up again as well ~ </div></div>

You got me curious! I would really like to see them.